General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
JDMC50
40C crawler
40C crawler

2 JD crawlers questions

Post by JDMC50 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:43 pm

General - 2Crawlere questions Subscribe
To: ALL (1 of 1)

This is from the old message board a few days ago.

1) I keep losing the adjustment on my left skid steer of my 1950 MC. I have had the final drive off several times and now have replaced the long hex adj. bolt with a grade 8 bolt that I can lock down. It appears that the TOB is at the very outside end of the TOB adj. collar slot. Is there are there shims that might go behind this collar or is the adjustment through the pressure plate bringing the fingers closer to the TOB ???
2) My brother-in-law owns a 64? JD 1010. It is experiencing wear on the track chains. He said he had new rolls installed several years ago so it must be the chains themselves. I have looked at the rolls and they are wearing evenly,BUT that is not to say that they are in fact wearing out. I was also told that JD350 rolls are interchangable. Can anyone tell me the height of a new roll from the edge of the flange to the flat riding surface so I can measure and compare to see if we need to replace the rolls again.
Thanks, Bruce

Options Reply Delete Edit

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:51 pm

Not sure I understand what is actually happening in either case. What adjustment is it that you are losing? Are you gaining or losing freeplay?
What kind of wear are you talking about on the track chains?
Lavoy

JDMC50
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by JDMC50 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:50 am

Question 1) When I adjust the freeplay in my left track of my MC after awhile I loose the adjustment and have to pull the steer stick back until when I do it doesn't do anything as far as steering. I then try to readjust the TOB until this happens again then I readjust and so on and so on and so on. This time I took it apart and removed the long TOB adjusting bolt and installed a grade 8 bolt and moved the TOB out toward the end of the collar it rides on and tighten it enough so as to give it enough adjustment to release the fingers of clutch cover when I pull the left stick back to turn left. SO in that long winded explanation that I hope you understand do you think my problem is in the clutch cover finger adjustment or my discs are worn out or ??? Question 2) My brother in laws 64? 1010 The chains on the right track are showing physical signs of scraping, chafing and wear. My question here is, are the rolls, that appear to be wearing evenly, wearing to the point that the roll flanges are rubbing out the chains. I am trying to find specs on the distance from the flange height to the roll flat so I can measure it to determine weather he needs to get new rolls or is it another problem.
I hope this explanation helps
Bruce

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:23 am

If you have to keep moving the throwout bearing holder out, then somehow it is slipiing in. Only thing I can think of is do you have the washer under the adjusting bolt?
If rollers are worn, they will start to wear on the pin bosses on the rails. I don't know of a spec as far as original diameter.
Lavoy