finally steering!!!!

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
millertym2
430 crawler
430 crawler

finally steering!!!!

Post by millertym2 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Well it took me 2 winters but I have my MC back together and both steering clutch's working perfectly,the blade lift arm straight- tracks lined up and all works good!!

Long story short I inherited a 52 MC when my dad died.And it was a mess. The steering clutch's froze and crumbling apart,the track carrier was loose and the track was catching on the blade arms(bending the lift arm).

SO after tearing it down(never having worked on such a thing) With new clutch's and plenty of trial and error with even more blood-sweat and swearing,I got one side working and ran it for a while,just to get some joy from all the work.
The other side needed new clutch's,pressure plate and new brake linings. Well after going over my small budget,I could only get the clutch's and plate. I couldnt afford the $150 for the brake band.So my brother inlaw told me I could just rivet new linings in the steel band. And luckily my father had brake drum linings still in the box up stairs in my garage. They worked perfectly.I had to use 2 1/2 brake linings to fit in there but worked great.
Just excited wanted to tell some one and the wife doesnt share my excitement. (I think she is jealous) :lol:

Thanks to Lavoy and this website.Without either it would just be another project torn apart in my garage. millertym

440icd
430 crawler
430 crawler

thats great

Post by 440icd » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:26 am

That’s great, sound like it worked out good.
I love it when it all comes together after that much work. It makes the final result that much better. But the wives just don't understand, and sometimes the more you like working on your rig, the more they hate you doing it. It’s almost like they don't want you to have that much fun. hehehe

Scott
Scott in wa.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:13 pm

Hi,

Some wives *do* understand, and sometimes that's a bad thing, too.

I happen to be married to a farm girl who loves power tools more than I do. She's more into wood, and I'm into metal, so we have to have two sizable workshops, not just one. She also has her own JD tractors, as well as liking to use mine. :p

Now, here's the good part. She only recently became interested in messing with the 420c dozer. I guess the combination of tracks and a dozer blade made it look too different from the ususal farm tractor.

Anyway, she wanted the grade of the garden altered (it was a little low in the center, which tended to stay a bit too wet), so I applied a little dozer to the problem. You know, push the edges towards the middle to crown it a bit. :)

Halfway thru the job on Sunday, she thought she might like to play in the dirt a bit. So, since nothing could go too badly wrong with this sort of scraping around - it's sort of like a big sandbox, actually - I said 'sure'. After a couple hours of coaching, she got the hang of it all.

Now, she wants a crawler of her own! She likes running on tracks!

I think this will pass, but maybe not - and then I'll have to get a second machine. Oh, well, I want to add a larger machine anyway -like a JD450 with power blade and a ripper on the back. That'd be excellent when it comes to the annual regrading of the 6000 foot long driveway. ;)

So, the downside to having a wife that 'gets it' is that I have to get a lot more stuff than if I was the only one! :p

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

440icd
430 crawler
430 crawler

wife

Post by 440icd » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:10 pm

Stan.
Yep, I see your point

My two sons, 18, 14, years are like that. they want one of there own as well.
scott
Scott in wa.

millertym2
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by millertym2 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:09 pm

With my wife when I say Im going over to my garage she rolls her eyes and then I the silent treatment for a while.But she gets over it pretty quick. Cant always please em.

I took out my MC and "stretched her legs" alittle and it began to run rough like 1 cylinder is skipping. It does need a tune up.I just dont want to use Champion spark plugs.Does any one know of any other plugs that would work?

Thanks,millertym

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:18 pm

I think C45L AC, or 216 Autolite, but check those numbers to be sure. I have new Autolites on hand, but don't remember the number.
Lavoy

millertym2
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by millertym2 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:50 pm

Here's my update-- I took one of my original spark plugs out(R44S AC)and took it in to work.Lavoy was right it is a C45L AC.So I got 2 new plugs and I had to work till 7 tonight.
Naturally I had to come home and try it out. I had to make a trail back to my back lot anyways. So I ran the old girl for about an hour and it ran great. The snow is about 2 feet deep and it had no problem pushing through it.

Deffinetly worth the time and money!!!

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Hi,

Yep. The AC 45's or Autolite 216's work better than the Champion H10's in both my 420c and 430w. The H10's tend to foul up in both machines.

Stan

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by lastchancegarage » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:57 pm

Millertym2,
Great job on the brake bands! That kind of thinking is what formed the 'Last Chance Garage'. :D Taking something that was economically unfeasable or financially undoable and making do with what you had. You'll have to make this a study of how long that brake band repair works. If it lasts long enough, we'll have to start a section here on economical workarounds. :wink: Hey, if you're ever bored on a Friday night, you'll have to swing in and participate in whatever the latest casualty is. :lol: The "boss" doesn't share my enthusiasm over the tractors either. As a matter of fact, she's starting to cring when I mention tractors. Especially after my latest acquisition. An early '50s ATC GT-30. I couldn't beat the price (free) and it came with a '59 Ford F350 dump. Someday she'll see the value in these machines, she just needs time. :roll: Good luck with the rest of your repairs. Keep us posted on any more innovative reairs. :wink:
Keep the tracks down and the torque up!!

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
1959 Case 310B backhoe w/belly grader option
195? ATC GT-25 dozer
19?? Stow 1 ton roller w/rare cooler option!

millertym2
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by millertym2 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:58 pm

I have talked to plenty of people and about 98% of them say that champions foul out all the time. I have even put hotter champions in and they still foul out. The only thing we can figure is its the core material that champion uses is not conductive or maybe has higher resistance.(the higher the resistance the more the voltage drop)

On the other hand I use champion in my chain saws and lawn mowers and they work fine. So if anyone has more insite then I would love to hear it. Thanks,millertym.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:53 am

Hi,

The plug issue is pretty much all about the design of the ceramic insulator inside the combustion chamber, I think. The Autolite plugs have thicker ceramic than the Champions. I think they retain a greater amount of heat than the Champions do.

I also have an 'M' with a modified engine - much higher compression than stock, or even what the 420/430 has. The 'M' prefers the Champion H-10 over the AC or Autolite, both of which will wind up with cracked ceramic insulators after only a couple hours of running.

Noticing this difference between the 'M' and the 420 & 420 further leads me to think it's all about heat retention in the ceramic.

Stan

p.s.

Now the wife wants an Allis Chalmers 'G' for use in the garden. She's stopped talking about another crawler, though, so maybe that's not so bad, except for the orange paint part. ;)

millertym2
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by millertym2 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:55 pm

Hi stan,

I have never really looked at the fouled champion plugs. When they foul they become hedge parts.

Hedge parts are when they mess up you take them out and throw them in the hedge row in behind the house.

I think a JD M would be better for a garden rather than a allis. But just my two cents. Thanks stan, Millertym2

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:56 pm

Stan your assesment of the ceramics is true and when the ceramics crack as they have done on me the small pieces that fall out stay in the cylinder I would rather throw my champs in the fence line as live with what is left of my autolites still in the motor? When I bought this old deere she had autolites instaled and both were cracked The old guy that had this 40 never put it to work so the plugs did not get that hot but still cracked the ceramic skirts The JD dealer handed me champions and they work fine Different plug makers make heat range variations and it is just comon knowledge that these old girls will run a cooler spark with some plugs and hotter with with others in the same (heat)catagory If you prefer a plug use it but if the ceramic is shatered than you are in is a wild detination patern as well.I guess Iwill throw my plugs out more often My other old tractors all run champion! Digitup.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:41 am

Stan,
How did you bump the compression on your M? You can't deck the block, pistons come flush, really can't take anything significant off the head, so you really have my curoius how you did it. We got in this discussion on another board about hopping up a Dubuque engine for pulling, and were discussing different options.
Lavoy

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:28 am

Hi,

There's a l-o-n-g story behind the poor old 'M'. When we got it, it was wrecked. Someone had left the exhaust uncovered in winter, and ice had busted up the tops of the pistons. They had tried to pull start it with it all locked up and broke the front end off. Then they left it to sit for five years before giving it away.

My dad was a machinist, and worse, a racer (made lots of his own parts, you see). He decided that we'd not buy but rings for the 'M' until we had it all sorted. He made a new set of piston tops, among other things (like valves and pushrods, etc), and bumped up the compression while he was at it.

I can't give much detail on the job, as this was one of those things that left the house busted one morning, and came back reworked at the end of the day. The thing sounds quite a bit different from either the 420c or the 430w and only likes 93 octane or better gas, though.

I can't say that it really has any more useful power than the 430w, but then, the rest of those two machines are quite different. The 430w has a lot more grip then the 'M' does. Not that it matters, I use the 'M' for light jobs and really just like to hear the way the exhaust sounds vs. the other two - it has more of a 'crack' than a 'pop' to it. ;)

Stan