Up date on my new 40C

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Beardedskipper
40C crawler
40C crawler

Up date on my new 40C

Post by Beardedskipper » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi guys, Finally got back to Maine with a truck load of tools to get the 40C I recently got running. I went over the distributor and the carb, replaced the 8 volt battery and was rewarded with the sweet pop of that engine after just an hour or two. She came out of the shed accompanied by the usual squeels and squeeks but the engine ran smooth with good oil pressure. I managed to get one short drag with the ripper before the only original hydrolic line let go showering me with oil. Next I pushed a few handy rocks around which caused the left steering clutch to start slipping. Back in the shed we disassembled the steering clutch to find the problem. 2 broken throw out return springs, 1 broken brake return spring and pitted, generally rusted clutch plates allowing only spotty contact. The rest looked ok, no sign of oil and the throwout bearing was smooth. I'll be calling Mr. Lavoy for some parts tomorrow and hope to put it back together in October for some real work. Turned out I had way more tools and equipment that I needed but I was lucky, it came apart easily. Posted a few blurry videos on my youtube page if anyone is interested, you can get the idea and that sweet sound. Must have had oil or dirt on the lense. Search "beardedskiper" on youtube. Thats one P in skipper. Thanks for all your help Rob