rt hand steering clutch does not work

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
barto3069
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by barto3069 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:51 pm

have a 420 putt putt.rt hand steering clutch doesn't work.compared to left side seems to be a lot more travel in the rt until the throw out bearing contacts the forks for the pressure plate.I assuming the problem is in the pressure plate.Please advise before i tear down.Also looking for a good service manual with diagrams and specs.
Thanks
Jeff

Bill Walter
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Bill Walter » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:51 pm

Jeff: You might try the John Deere Bookstore at,www.jdtechinfo.com/index they have a Service Manual, SM2019, listed for $80.85, and a Parts Catalog, PC505, listed for $68.37, or go to ebay and search for the PC505 parts catalog that is listed for $19.99. There is a member on this site, a guy by name of BKahler that offers a CD for the 440 series crawler, but I don't think he offers anything for the 420.

BKahler
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: rt hand steering clutch does not work

Post by BKahler » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:43 pm

Bill Walter wrote:Jeff: You might try the John Deere Bookstore at,www.jdtechinfo.com/index they have a Service Manual, SM2019, listed for $80.85, and a Parts Catalog, PC505, listed for $68.37, or go to ebay and search for the PC505 parts catalog that is listed for $19.99. There is a member on this site, a guy by name of BKahler that offers a CD for the 440 series crawler, but I don't think he offers anything for the 420.
What I have available for the 420 is the JD parts manual scanned in to PDF format and text searchable. I've actually just finished putting together a CD not to long ago that has the JD parts manuals for the BO, MC, 40, 420/430, 440ICD and 440IC. They are all in PDF format and text searchable.

I've found it handy to know what parts from other crawlers will work on my 440ICD.

The CD sells for $30 plus $4 shipping.

Brad

frozendozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by frozendozer » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:10 pm

hi brad

how can i get a hold of the cd you have...i have a 440icd that i just got running , but there is still much work to do...stearing clutch on left side and a wiring job, winch needs to get working. Much of this is a mystrry to me as i have never worked on this type of equipment in my life, in fact yesterday was the first time i ever drove anything like this.

I fired up just yesterday, after fixing the blower. what a rush...considering it sat around for 7 years.

Now that it proves to run, many more hours of fixing fun are in store for me, saying that, it would be helpful to have some info before i spend too much time going down blind alleys

frank

BKahler
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by BKahler » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:34 am

frozendozer wrote:hi brad

how can i get a hold of the cd you have...i have a 440icd that i just got running , but there is still much work to do...stearing clutch on left side and a wiring job, winch needs to get working. Much of this is a mystrry to me as i have never worked on this type of equipment in my life, in fact yesterday was the first time i ever drove anything like this.

I fired up just yesterday, after fixing the blower. what a rush...considering it sat around for 7 years.

Now that it proves to run, many more hours of fixing fun are in store for me, saying that, it would be helpful to have some info before i spend too much time going down blind alleys

frank
Frank,

I've got two different CDs. One has text searchable PDF files of the original Factory Service manuals (diesel and gas versions), original Factory Parts Manuals (diesel and gas versons), original Factory Operators manual for the diesel version and a copy of the Detroit Diesel 53 series service manual. Total with shipping is $39.

The other CD has text searchable PDF files of the factory parts manuals for the BO, 40, MC, 420/430, 440IC and 440ICD crawlers. Having all of these parts manuals allows you to cross reference as to which parts will interchange between crawlers. Total with Shipping is $34.

Or I sell both for a total delivered at $65.

You can pay via Paypal or personal check.

Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,

Brad

brad.kahler @ 141.com

frozendozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by frozendozer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:48 am

hey brad

yup iam interested in both...my email adresss is fvullings@hotmail.com. please forward me the details.

frank