A few 40c questions

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
hydrogeo
440 crawler
440 crawler

A few 40c questions

Post by hydrogeo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi,

New to the forum. Just acquired a 40c (55 I believe), and am really excited. Have known about this machine for 30 years, owner finally decided he no longer needed it. It is stored remotely so no pics yet. Should be able to get it home next month, and will know more then

The machine is a 4-roller, but appears to have 420 rails and rollers from what I can tell. The blade right now has an interchangeable rock rake that appears to be factory, no markings anywhere though. Machine sat in a barn for at least 8 years at the owner's country estate. Yep, must be nice. I put a battery in it and it fired right up. Appears to run pretty well but haven't worked it yet to see what it needs.

Now for the questions:

-A friend has a manual, 6-way blade setup (62 maybe?) on a parts machine that is in much better shape than my welded and patched blade. Mounts look about the same, but I am concerned this is too heavy for my 4 roller frames. Any thoughts?

-The machine has corked track pads. The corks look well done, was wondering if this was a factory option?

-It also has a Carco winch that looks factory. The pto gear level appears to have no affect on the winch. I scoured the web and could only find a couple references to these winches. Apparently it does not run off the pto but instead off the trans input. Is this correct, and does anyone know where I might find a manual or at least a primer on how to operate it?

I'll start a thread when I start shaking it down, but in the mean time thanks for the great resource here!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:36 pm

A 62 blade is heavy on any 4 roller, more so on a 40. If it has the standard front idler, I would not even consider it, way too tippy.
If you mean rubber pads, yes, they were available as an option, and through wholegoods and parts after the initial sale.
Carco drives off of the input shaft to the trans, so PTO lever will have no effect. Only hope on the manual is to find one for sale, or someone that has a copy and will make you a copy.
Lavoy

hydrogeo
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hydrogeo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks, sorry by corked I mean short raised pieces on the grousers about an inch high. Many logging machines around here have them , was just curious if there was some sort of logging package from the factory. Will pass on the blade then.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:48 pm

If they are part of the pad, and you have oval holes in the center of the pad, then they are factory snow pads.
Lavoy