Oil Filter

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Bob Raber
MC crawler
MC crawler

Oil Filter

Post by Bob Raber » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:07 am

I am a new member and am learning my way so please forgive any faults. I have a 1957 420C crawler that I bought over 30 years ago. All my building and landscaping projects were finished some time ago so the dozer spends most of the time in the barn. (I also have a Case 541 with a front bucket that I use for snow removal). The oil had not been changed in a couple years so I decided to correct that last week. The oil was a little dirty but I was surprised to find the filter looking almost new. Turns out the bottom plate for the filter is missing. The operator's manual warns ".. make sure the lower sealing plate is not stuck to the bottom of the old element." Apparently my helper on the last oil change didn't know about that and I didn't check.
I will be glad to buy a plate if available, but most likely I will have to make one. If anyone has the dimensions it would save me some trial and error.
Also, my machine is 6 volt negative ground (with an alternator). I have been looking at ads for an "electronic ignition" but there only seems to be positive ground. Does anyone have experience with these kits and is a negative ground version available?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:39 am

I have the plates on hand.
I tried the 6 volt electronic ignition and did not like it. In cold weather, the voltage drops low enough that the ignitnion system will not fire until you let go of the starter knob, real pain in the butt.
Lavoy

cowboy4996
430 crawler
430 crawler

Oil Filter

Post by cowboy4996 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:31 am

I would buy the plate from Lavoy....I know they have not been available from John Deere for years....

I put the 6v electronic ignition in my MC. It runs better than it has for years, but it acts just like Lavoy says when I start it. I get by because I seldom have to start it in cold weather...

Bob Raber
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Bob Raber » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:05 pm

[quote="Lavoy"]I have the plates on hand.
I tried the 6 volt electronic ignition and did not like it. In cold weather, the voltage drops low enough that the ignitnion system will not fire until you let go of the starter knob, real pain in the butt.
Lavoy[/quote]

Great! How do I go about ordering/buying? Actually, I would like to buy 2 in case we make this dumb mistake again.
Are you a source for other maintenance parts?
Thanks for info re. electronic ignition.We get pretty cold here so it don't sound like a good idea. The dozer is my backup for snow removal.

Bob Raber
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: Oil Filter

Post by Bob Raber » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:10 pm

[quote="cowboy4996"]I would buy the plate from Lavoy....I know they have not been available from John Deere for years....

I put the 6v electronic ignition in my MC. It runs better than it has for years, but it acts just like Lavoy says when I start it. I get by because I seldom have to start it in cold weather...[/quote]

Thanks for the input. I have contacted Lavoy for plate. Electronic ignition don't sound like it would be good for me since if I need the dozer real bad and in a hurry it will be for snow removal and it can get pretty cold here.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Yes I have parts. My e-mail address is at the bottom of any of my posts.
Lavoy