JD 1010 steering clutch replacement

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
silerra
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD 1010 steering clutch replacement

Post by silerra » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:09 pm

What is the procedure for removing the housing? After spliting the track and removing the drive sprocket, do you need to remove the axle and the final drive gear? Thanks to any and all that can help. Rock

bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by bent » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:25 am

Rock, if you can get your hands on the service manual, it will be a great investment. The whole final comes off as a unit with the axle in. You must turn the final so the axle clears the trackframe and watch the brake band (it stays) doesn't bind on the brake drum (it comes with the final). And be careful not to twist the realease bearing sleeve with the drive shaft. Most of the potential damage will cost less than the book, really, and the book is good.

Brent

JAJ
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by JAJ » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:45 pm

Rock:
I am also in the process of removing the finals on my 1010. So far the loader is about 50% removed and then I'll bust open the track and get to where you are right now. Problem I have is that some "mental giant" before me actually, with a freeking torch, cut out a radial section of the support rail so that he could remove the axle. This cut out was done on both sides of the machine. I have not figured out what the guy was thinking?? I am also from Michigan, just outside of Grand Rapids. Maybe we should talk.
Jim

silerra
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by silerra » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:31 pm

thanks for the info Bret, I found a owners and a parts manual on ebay but still looking for service manual, thanks again
silerra

silerra
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by silerra » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:36 pm

thanks to you too Jim, I have it all apart now, wasnt as bad as i thought tearing it down. now just finding the part to put it back together. I will be more than happy to talk with you.send me a email and i will be more than happy to give you my number. Rock
silerra