air in fuel system

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
fruitcakesa
430 crawler
430 crawler

air in fuel system

Post by fruitcakesa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:06 pm

I was hauling a hitch of logs back to the landing when the dozer started surging up and down rpm wise,
I dropped the logs and shut down[it was still running].
Checked the fuel tank and could see some fuel but quite low,
I added more fuel but have not been able to restart it.
It will fire when I prime it after glow cycling but it stalls out after a few seconds probably burned up the primed fuel.
I bled the fuel strainers but am not able to get get fuel out of a cracked injector line after cranking for a bit.
Could I have somehow gotten air in the system even though it never ran out of fuel?
Any advice on how to proceed?
196? 1010 diesel crawler, Gearmatic 10 winch w/ arch/fairlead, 6 way power angle blade, ROPS w/rear screen

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:18 pm

Not sure what crawler you are using, so the bleeding procedure might vary. Assuming a 1010 per your sig line (or 2010) then the system is gravity fed and is self bleeding, assuming that fuel is getting to the injector pump, the shutoff valve in the injection pump is open, and fuel can return to the tank. However opening the bleed ports on the fuel filter assembly and cracking the injection lines at the injectors will speed up bleeding. Usually a fuel system with some air will still try to fire though.

It is more likely that debris in the tank was disturbed and loosened when you almost ran dry and clogged one or more of the screens between the tank and fuel filters. Likely locations for blockage include the tank outlet, the sediment bowl, the fuel filters, inlet screen on injector pump, vent, and tank return line. All of those locations could be causing a problem with fuel delivery to the injectors. The primer bypasses most of these locations that may have a blockage.

This is also a helpful thread- several folks with 1010s had similar issues (read the links within the tHread as well):

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... =2010+fuel

Hope this helps.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

hydrogeo
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hydrogeo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:37 pm

Not sure if it will help but I had an early 70s IH crawler that the only way I could get all the air out of the fuel system was to apply a bit of air pressure to the tank by holding a rag around a blow gun in the filler neck. If I didn't bleed it that way it would run exactly as you described.