1010 Crawler Front Cross Bar

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
JAJ
420 crawler
420 crawler

1010 Crawler Front Cross Bar

Post by JAJ » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:10 pm

I need some help understanding how the front cross bar attaches to the track frame. The mounting flanges on both ends of my cross bar are worn down, the diameter is fine but the flange thickness has worn down from .450" to .377". I plan to weld these flanges and turn them back down to their .450" nominal thickness. I also plan to remachine the "C" shaped clamp plates that hold the flange up against the track frame. I have already remachined these clamps to make them flat again and they ended up .900" thick. I will weld & remachine the groove depth on these clamps once I figure out their function. Now, here is what I don't understand: what do these clamps do? I know by looking at the manual that they and the shims ( .055" thick each ) allow for alignment adjusting of the track frame. But, does the clamp actually hold the flange dead nuts tight to the track frame/shim or is there a given clearance that I should allow for? Or, should I make the clamp to flange to track frame relationship a preload of some amount. There is a small amount ( .010" ) of wear on the track frame area where this all matches up to which I am not planning to repair. This wear took place because the machine had no shims at all when I got it. When I add the new shims they should fill this .010" gap. The clamp bolts are 5/8" dia but yet the manual tells you to tighten them to only 35 to 45 ft lbs. ????
Thank you very much for your help.
Jim J.