New old dozer

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
dedeye
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dedeye » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:16 am

Well I got back to the old girl last evening and have determined that the cam is what is stuck. After I drained about a gallon of water out of the base I could look into the cam from the top and she's plenty crusty in there!
Lavoy
I don't know yet if I should be optimistic or not. One one hand it is good that the water stayed in the motor at least the block is not busted but on the other hand I probably will still need to rebuild it. I could really use your guidance on this one.
thanks a million
Dan
If at first you don't break it...try...try again........!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:11 am

Get the engine completely disassembled to the bare block. A big problem now may be the lifter bores, but they could be honed if need be. If you have that much internal rust, you need to have the block shotblasted to remove the rust. If you are extremely careful you might be able to sandblast it, but shotblasting is safer.
Another choice would be electrolysis, then there would be no worry about potential damage.
Once the block is cleaned and blasted, then magnaflux it to be sure there are no cracks. If it check out good, then you are on the way.
Lavoy

dedeye
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dedeye » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:36 am

Lavoy
I guess I need to buy the service manual for this rig!
I shamefully admit to buying a manual on Ebay for 16.00 and it is no more that a poorly photocopied copy someone else bought. It is not even legible.
If you have one how do I buy one from you? I can't seem to locate a place on the site to make purchases.
Thanks
Dan

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:41 am

I have a new reprint. It is a reprint, but not a cheesy photocopy, it was professionally done from a good original.
Online ordering is SO expensive that for now I am not going to do it. The server space alone is cost prohibitive, let alone the cost of designing the system to do it. I am going to find a cheaper alternative some day, but for now, I am more concerned with keeping prices down.
Lavoy

dedeye
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dedeye » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:48 am

Seeings how I can't buy it from you can I borrow it? LOL.

I have'nt been around here long enough to know you real good but was that funny?

It's like you are saying na na na na na na I have a service manual and you dont'
Dan

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:58 am

Dan,
Sorry about that, I should have said that I have them for sale, sorry.
Personally, I use originalls, na na na na na na!!!!