1010 gas need engine, what combine models and engines?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
sterjess
40C crawler
40C crawler

1010 gas need engine, what combine models and engines?

Post by sterjess » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:27 am

Well, my 1010 gas engine finally bit the dust yesterday. It's been smoking and using a lot of oil for some time but finally started knocking and is in dire need of replacement. I've seen there are a couple old combines and other machines that have engines that bolt right up to this dozer and might be a better choice than rebuilding this engine. Along with older combines like that around here go for next to nothing so would be cheap to do if I can find one that will work.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:42 am

(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

sterjess
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sterjess » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:11 am

Thanks, looks like I'll be looking for a john deere 40 or 45 combine and will just have to see what engine is in it then. I guess this crawler will get pushed into the back shed for now til I find something.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:07 am

My two cents, and worth exactly what you paid for it.
What says any combine engine you buy is any different than the engine you have now? What if the combine engine you buy is just like yours was 20 minutes before it started knocking?
My point is, you have a used engine, why buy another one that is unknown. Rebuild the engine you have, than you know what you have, and it should last you for a long, long time.
I know I sound pessimistic, but a so called "good" used engine is going to be at least half the cost of a rebuild, and it is just as old as the engine you have, and while normally lower hour, a combine engine sits for long periods of time.
Lavoy

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:37 am

Lavoy wrote:My two cents, and worth exactly what you paid for it.
What says any combine engine you buy is any different than the engine you have now?
A valid point but . . . I've come across many combine/power units that saw very little use and abuse as compared to those in crawlers and wheel tractors. As I see it the chances of a good used engine are better with the combine/power units. As to price? I came across two last summer - running - for $300 each.

If my 1010/2010 engine needed a simple rebuild - I would not buy a used engine. I'd fix it instead. By "simple" though, I mean NOT needing a new sleeve deck, head , crank, or block. If it did? I'd jump at the chance of buying a $300 combiine engine I could hear run and it held good hot oil pressure.

Last year I did a search for good 1010 compatible engines. I got back about 30 responses for good sleeved combine engines, 2 with sleeveless 1010 type engines, and 0 responses for 1010 tractor/crawler engines in good running condition. Best offer I got was something like - "ran a few years ago and now condition is unknown."

Now that scrap prices have been so high - I wonder how many good engines went to the crusher?

sterjess
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sterjess » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:04 am

That's kinda what I figured as well, a combine engine isn't going to get the abuse that a crawler or tractor will get and with scrap as high as it is right now, if I can find a farmer with one in his back 40 and just wants it gone I could probably pull the motor and scrap the combine and get my $ back and then some, might even make a little $ on it. It would be nicer having a newly rebuilt but would cost a lot more $$ if I can even find the parts. I'm sure I would need a complete rebuild on this engine, I'm sure bearings are shot and rings for sure if not cylinders and pistons as well, all adds up to a lot of $$ when it's all added together.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:16 pm

Found these today - grist for the mill. I know only what I read in the ads.

http://burlington.craigslist.org/grd/2936675404.html
http://burlington.craigslist.org/grd/2935509798.html
Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

sterjess
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sterjess » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:42 pm

I'm on the border of nd and mn, lookin for somethin a little closer hopefully.

chet
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by chet » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:54 pm

300.00 is what I payed for the 165 gas combine engine I put in my 2010. I was able to hear it run before I bought it. Lots and lots of hours on it since the install, great oil pressure and still purrs like a kitten. :D

sterjess
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sterjess » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:55 am

Yep, hopefully I can find one before this crawler ends up sitting too long.

sterjess
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sterjess » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:13 am

Well, I found an engine out of a 45 combine, it's an HA165 and got to hear it run before buying it. I paid a little more for it though, $500 but has good oil pressure, starts on the first compression stroke of turning the starter and doesn't show a puff of smoke at all when it's running. I'm hoping to get around to putting this in the machine in the next week or so here. First I'm going to take it to one of my friends with a pressure washer and clean it up real good and put in new front and rear main seals, lot easier doing that now than if they start leakin bad in the machine. I might paint it yellow too but not sure if I'll bother doing that yet. Eventually I'll probably end up going through this whole machine restoring it so can probably just wait to paint it when I do that. Has anyone done a swap to one of these engines on here yet, from what I've seen it looks like it should be a pretty easy swap. On another note it appears my original 1010 engine might not be as bad off as I thought it was. I pulled the air cleaner and muffler and had to raise the loader to get my block in the hydraulic ram for the loader and after pulling the muffler the thing started right up and seemed to be running pretty good, loud but good. It's still smoking quite a bit though and smoking through the valve cover breather so I'm pretty sure the rings are shot, the muffler was plugged almost solid though, the knockin sound was just the engine struggling to get the exhaust out of the chambers I bet as I don't hear any kind of knock now. Still smokes and uses oil like crazy though so I'm still gonna switch it out. Might tear this one down in my spare time tho and look for parts, might just need a slight bore and rings, then again I bet oversize pistons for it are a mint.

chet
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by chet » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:03 am

I put the same engine in my 2010. The conversion was not without some issues, but wit a little head scratchin' I was able to pull it off. I'm very happy with the results. :D

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... highlight=

sterjess
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sterjess » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:35 pm

I'm hopin I'm happy with mine when it's finished too. What kind of issues did you run into doing the swap?

chet
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by chet » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:33 pm

I posted a link in the post above that may answer a few questions.

sterjess
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sterjess » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:59 am

Oh, didn't notice the link you provided. Looked through it quick and I don't think I'll have as much to do on mine. I'm switching from a gas engine to gas, the only thing I can see that I might do and have some problem with is switching the governor over from my 1010 engine to the 165. It might be easier when I get both engines out and can look at em more closely though.