Blade tilt converting from wedge-lock to hydraulic cylinder

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
RanchTruck
420 crawler
420 crawler

Blade tilt converting from wedge-lock to hydraulic cylinder

Post by RanchTruck » Wed May 09, 2012 3:00 am

We've got a 805 blade attachment for the 1010 loader we have that replaces the bucket. I know using a loader as a dozer is inadvisable, but we have the blade and it would be handy if not precise. The tilt for the blade is set by a wedge you hammer in to lock a curved dovetail in position. I have a 6" stroke by 4" diameter cylinder that I was thinking of welding up brackets for so it could control the blade tilt. I'd run hoses forward and use the ripper control valve to run it.

My one concern is that the dovetail depends on the wedge to keep it from shock loading and it may fail if left loose so the cylinder can move it. Is this a real concern or just me worrying?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed May 09, 2012 8:57 am

Yes, very real, in all likelyhood it will break the "fingers" on the tilt piece, and they are either very expensive, or very hard to find.
Lavoy

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Angle Dozer

Post by JWB Contracting » Wed May 09, 2012 6:02 pm

How about going the angle dozer route.

You get tilt out of the dozer by tilting the bucket curl cylinders forward and back. Check under show an tell for angle dozer and you will see what we have done to a couple of 350C widetrack loaders. Works very well and for fine grading and clean up. We have hoes on our machines and they are very well balanced for dozer work.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

RanchTruck
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by RanchTruck » Wed May 09, 2012 9:05 pm

The 805 uses brackets that replace the bucket so the bucket cylinders do their normal curl/dump thing, then there's a couple options for where you pin the blade to the brackets to set where the blade rolls dirt to, left or right or straight. Then there's a pivot on the left side of the blade and the lock on the right to set if the right side of the blade is higher or lower than the left. That's what I want to convert to hydraulic.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow to show what I'm working with.