1010 diesel fuel problem

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

1010 diesel fuel problem

Post by gregjo1948 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:18 pm

My 1010 dozer is not getting fuel to the injectors. It was running fine and started dieing; as if the filters were plugging. Replaced both filters and bled them. Cracked the fuel lines at the injectors to bleed the lines but I'm not getting any fuel. I openned the supply line at the top of the pump and fuel gravitied from the tank thru the filters right into the pump. Did my pump just quit working in a few minutes? I could use some help. Thanks, Greg
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

jdemaris

Re: 1010 diesel fuel problem

Post by jdemaris » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:37 pm

gregjo1948 wrote:My 1010 dozer is not getting fuel to the injectors. It was running fine and started dieing; as if the filters were plugging. Replaced both filters and bled them. Cracked the fuel lines at the injectors to bleed the lines but I'm not getting any fuel. I openned the supply line at the top of the pump and fuel gravitied from the tank thru the filters right into the pump. Did my pump just quit working in a few minutes? I could use some help. Thanks, Greg
If the pump is still actually turning inside, the plastic vibration damper in the governor is probably falling apart. It causes the insides of the pump to over-pressurize - and push back on charge fuel - and then starve.

If it's not turning - the shaft inside the pump probably broke in two.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

1010 diesel fuel problem

Post by gregjo1948 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:50 am

I know a little more about my fuel problem. The pump shaft is turning and with the little timing cover off, it pushes a lot of fuel out. That isn't a surprise but,the engine will run with it off. Does that indicate that the govenor has broken up and the back presure is relieved, allowing the fuel to flow to the injectors? If I'm right, can I repair the gov., or do I try to find a replacement? Thank you, Greg
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

jdemaris

Re: 1010 diesel fuel problem

Post by jdemaris » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:42 am

gregjo1948 wrote: with the little timing cover off, it pushes a lot of fuel out. That isn't a surprise but,the engine will run with it off. Does that indicate that the govenor has broken up and the back presure is relieved, allowing the fuel to flow to the injectors?
Yes. Parts to fix back to original will cost around $30. If you add another $50, you can eliminate the plastic part that fails forever. Labor is the main cost problem. If you send the pump out for repair, prices range $300-$800.

To fix the pump once on the bench is only an hour job - IF you know what you're doing. If you don't, but DO have the tech manual - even if it takes you 8 hour - you may be way ahead. I used to fix many, on the job site.

If you can clean out the return fuel circuit, it will work for awhile. Not good to do on the long-run though. With that plastic broken, there are steel parts hammering against each other.