new to me mc crawler

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
monzanick
430 crawler
430 crawler

new to me mc crawler

Post by monzanick » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:12 pm

So my crawler is 150 miles away under some tarps. its been there for 10 years. I went up there, unearthed it an tried to start it.

so my questions are : what direction does the engine turn over? I thought these were pos ground but the cables fit the other way... i hooked it up pos ground an it spins over o/k but no spark... i've isolated that to a bad coil which i'll install on my next trip up.

Are there any wiring diagrams out there?

if you change over to 12v ya gotta go wit neg ground right? won't the starter spin the wrong way?

I fix cars for a living but this is throwing me a bit.

Thanks all!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:56 pm

Starter spins the same way regardless of polarity or voltage, so don't worry about that. Check your points, that would be my first guess.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

LarryD
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by LarryD » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:12 pm

The starter will spin the same direction on either voltage, and regardless of polarity of the cables. Without getting too technical......I hope..... the only way to make one spin backwards would be to change the polarity of the field windings internally in relation to the armature. But anyway the short answer is that it isn't spinning backwards. I also agree with Lavoy, most likely culprit causing no spark is points.....second would be condenser. Hope this helps.

Larry

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:44 pm

The only time you have to worry about the polarity of the battery is if you have an alternator. The diodes in an alternator determine which polarity you need to connect to ground. Over 99.9% of automotive alternators are designed for negative ground. Starters don't care which polarity, they will spin the same direction by their internal construction. Generators don't care, the regulator must be polarized when first used to be able to charge a battery. Normally the coil should be connected the same terminal to the distributor as what battery ground is. It will work wired either way, it just works a little better wired the same way. The ammeter just senses current and you want it to move in the positive direction when the generator/alternator is charging the battery.
Bryce
:)
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

new to me mc

Post by gregjo1948 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:56 am

If it were me, I'd use a 12 volt battery to crank it up. If your worried about the generator, just unhook it until; you get it home. It will crank much better and start up quicker. Don't crank it for long periods. The points and condenser will take the voltage a long time. If you convert the whole machine to 12 volt, you can probably go with a pointless ignition. Hope this helps.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

LarryD
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by LarryD » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:23 pm

shinnery wrote:The only time you have to worry about the polarity of the battery is if you have an alternator. The diodes in an alternator determine which polarity you need to connect to ground. Over 99.9% of automotive alternators are designed for negative ground. Starters don't care which polarity, they will spin the same direction by their internal construction. Generators don't care, the regulator must be polarized when first used to be able to charge a battery. Normally the coil should be connected the same terminal to the distributor as what battery ground is. It will work wired either way, it just works a little better wired the same way. The ammeter just senses current and you want it to move in the positive direction when the generator/alternator is charging the battery.
Bryce
:)
Not trying to be a know it all, but don't want someone to be misinformed and think that they have bought a bad generator right out of the box. I believe you have it backwards. The regulator doesn't care about polarity, as it is just a magnetic relay.....The generator does care though and must have the fields polarized. The term used years ago was "Flashing the field". By flashing the fields it leaves a little bit of residual magnetism which essentially "tells" the generator what its direction it should charge. I imagine the confusion is created in the fact that you flash the fields at the field wire of the regulator.

monzanick
430 crawler
430 crawler

dont think its the points

Post by monzanick » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:27 pm

I had pulled off the cap an rotor, the points looked o/k. with ignition on the points sparked a bit. i swapped out the condensor for a known good one, checked power and ground @ coil but no spark. tried swapping in an old small block chev but that one had broken nuts so i couldn't use it.

I ordered new cap/rotor points/condensor wires an plugs. i figgure its been at least 10 years from it being running. an who knows how long its been since a tune up.
one of the spark plugs had broken ceramic @ the top and was a ALDOR brand. I never even heard 'o them.

Here's hoping that this thing will fire up an drive on the trailer and away from my bumbling uncles.

hydrogeo
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hydrogeo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:02 pm

FWIW, my 40c would barely run when I got it. New cap, rotor, wires, points and plugs and it now starts and runs better than anything else in my "fleet".

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:20 pm

You didnt tell us if you had checked for compression.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

LarryD
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: dont think its the points

Post by LarryD » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:29 am

monzanick wrote: Here's hoping that this thing will fire up an drive on the trailer and away from my bumbling uncles.
Hmmm, seems I have an uncle just like that.....loveable, but sure can lead you down a long crooked path with their "wisdom". :lol:

monzanick
430 crawler
430 crawler

compression check

Post by monzanick » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:49 pm

well the only way I had to check compression was with my thumb over plug hole. it went "phhhhhttttt" and pushed my thumb away. yep reallly accurate huh?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:54 pm

All depends on how accurate your thumb is! :lol:
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

monzanick
430 crawler
430 crawler

its RUNNNNNNING!

Post by monzanick » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:19 pm

Put coil, cap,rotor,wires,points hit the starter an it popped off an ran like a top! it moved, grooved and the bucket even worked well. wooo hooo!!!!!