My 420C project.

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Labrador_tractor
40C crawler
40C crawler

My 420C project.

Post by Labrador_tractor » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:07 pm

I would like to say Hello to all being my first post and would like to say you have a very nice forum and from the last few weeks of lurking around I can see there are some very knowledgeable people on this site!

A little about me so you know who your dealing with, My name is Joey I am a Canadian from a small mining community called labrador city / wabush in the Provence Labrador.I'm only 20 but I have turned wrenches all my life as a hobby and I was a heavy equipment mechanic for the last 3 years until a week ago becasue I got a job at the mine now.

I acquired this 420 about a week ago and it is my first dozer, its a 57 according to the serial number and has/had a lister petter TS3 diesel swapped into it by the previous owner but I will be putting the original motor back in it. when I got it the main clutch would not release so I pulled the motor to find the release bearing failed and had the fingers on the pressure plate for lunch.

here it was when I got it, not for $2500. also what blade number is this ?

bearing had the carrier for dinner

turned it down to press on a collar to bring back the OD size.

In search of a pressure plat locally I did not find one but I did find one for a 1010 engine. found some 420 parts tho for steering clutchs, 5 pressure plate's , 31 fiber disks , 6 narrow steel disks and 15 wide one's along with everything else in the picture.

what size is better ?

here is how the lister was on the JD, JD flywheel attacked to the lister flywheel with a adapter my buddy made, it worked well I must say But I prefer the gold ole johnny popper engine.

here is a video of the lister. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YWyyzRm9CQ&feature=plcp
Last edited by Labrador_tractor on Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hydrogeo
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hydrogeo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Nice looking machine, and looks like the same Carco winch that I have on my 40c. I see wood slides in place of the top rollers, was this primarily a winter machine?

Labrador_tractor
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Labrador_tractor » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:31 pm

You have a good eye! yes it has wooden sliders and indeed has a carco winch.

I'm thinking it was used mostly for snow, my buddy owned it the last 2 years and he used it all winter long plowing snow. not much mind you he only did his driveway with it which is only big enough for maybe 4 pickups.

I will most likely keep them, only dirt I plan to push is the fill for my cabin ,or house I guess it would be, next summer. after that it will be for keeping the dirt road between my cabin house and the highway plowed. my little hough loader isn't going to cut it on the road plowing. I live rather north we get snowfall starting in September and permanent snow in October until April.

this is my current snow mover, an old hough loader. model HA or H25 not 100% sure which. the previous owner put a 1010 bucket on it becasue it was wider, I narrowed it back to stock width. so there is some john deere steel on this loader.

how it looked when I got ahold of it, I did ALOT of work to this loader.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:57 am

Welcome to the board, good luck on the crawler, nice to see some young guys in the hobby.
I think the loader is an HA. HA used a flat head Waukasha I believe, H25 used OHV International.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Labrador_tractor
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Labrador_tractor » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:53 am

Thanks lavoy, There is not many of my generation that has an interest in equipment let alone the energy to actually work on it. tv's and computers are the thing these days. the hough did have a flat head waukasha and all indicators point to it being a HA, it now has a Isuzu C201 diesel from a thermoking reefer and a hydrostatic trans from a CAT V60B forklift.

Lavoy do you have any insite on the steel disk's for the steering clutch's I have a picture of up top, I have 6 of the narrow one and 15 of the wider. are they from different models and which would be better, my guess would be the wide but I honestly don't know.

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:34 am

Welcome to the board!!!
It is always a personal decison as to how anyone restores these but I am glad that you have an original JD engine to go back in it.
That Lister sounded cool, just does not fit with what I expect to hear from a JD crawler. LOL
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

waterman28
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by waterman28 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:52 pm

Welcome, and I sure hope you find the mate to the boot in the 8th picture.
JD 1010 Crawler
Ferguson TO 30
Case 580C
996 David Brown

vtjoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

parts for you

Post by vtjoe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:20 am

I think you will find that Lavoy has all the parts that you will need
1957 420C four roll since 1982

Eric.MacLeod
440 crawler
440 crawler

blade

Post by Eric.MacLeod » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:03 pm

hello, im not sure of the blade number but thats a -holt outside blade that you have. love the work that somebody did to put the lister in there. nice fab skills..Eric

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:00 am

The wide steel discs are from MC and 40, the narrow discs are 420 through 1010. Either will work, but yours are awful rusty. One area not to skimp is steering clutch stuff, no fun to redo when it doesn't work.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Labrador_tractor
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Labrador_tractor » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:00 pm

well I visited my buddy and got some of the original parts for the dozer, still need to see if he has the air cleaner , starter rod , and the hydraulic piping.

exhaust manifold is in terrible shape but a freind of mine says he has one, the big black spot between the #1 exhaust runner and the intake is a hole and you can see there was on in the same spot on #2 exhaust but someone plugged it with a bolt.

carb needs a good cleaning and a rebuild.

rear main seal leaks.

got a flywheel of the guy who has a manifold because the other was trimmed for the lister.

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:31 pm

Dont forget to put that ring gear on the other flywheel. Otherwise your going to feel rather silly when you try to start it.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

Labrador_tractor
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Labrador_tractor » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:57 pm

The one without the ring gear is coming off and the one with the ring is going on. if you look you will notice that the one on the engine is thinner becasue the back shoulder was machined off so there was less weight when it was on the lister.

Labrador_tractor
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Labrador_tractor » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:27 pm

well I dug a bit deeper into the engine and usual its resulting in me having to dig deeper into my wallet when it comes time to order parts!

carb was filthy

load needle was soldered back together at some point.

Well I had a gut feeling to look into the spark plug holes and when I did I seen coolent, so off comes the head!

Then I noticed that the pistons have quite a bit of play in the cylinders, I'v never been in a 2cyl john deere but I'v been in a lot of motors and this feels pretty damn lose. here is a picture of the ridge atop the cylinder its also a nice lip.

piston #1 has a bit of pitting.

piston #2 isn't as bad, I can also make out the letter 'A' near the center would that indicate standard bore?

here is the cylinder head.

Also I noticed when I put the flywheel on earlier today that the crank has some end play, is this normal? I put my dial indicator on it and its reading .019" of movement from the back. none up and down however.

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:10 pm

I cant say for certain on the end play, but since you are working on it, yes I too would remove the play.

Good for you that you can do such a indepth repair. Keep it up!
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4