440icd late model steering and final

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:15 am

Look at the adjustment procedure in the servie manual and make sure you have it adjusted correctly. The gap is probably about 1/8" give or take. The adjusting bolt for the throwout bearing will be about half way past the edge of the casting when adjusted.
lavoy

440icd
430 crawler
430 crawler

books

Post by 440icd » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:12 am

I have many manuals, like another post I read they are bad photo copies and not all complete, even have a few on CD that are not bad, but not the service manual. most papper backs are cra*!
I can only make out some of the things.
Where the heck can I buy a good John deer IT manual for my tractor?
I was looking at ssb tractor and it looks like the want 250.00 FOR TWO BOOKS THAT ARE 550 PAGES.
Holly Molly.!!!!

I just want the IT manual. That shows the final set up and clutch setting. Mine are car*.
1959 440 icd loader
scott
Last edited by 440icd on Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott in wa.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:32 am

There is no such thing as a good IT manual. You could order a new service manual from Deere, but they are spendy. Look on E-bay for an old original.
Lavoy

440icd
430 crawler
430 crawler

manual

Post by 440icd » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:36 pm

I will try and find another manual, service manual. mine sucks

But you think there is something wrong with my clutch adjustment?
I used the tool that I bought to set the finger height, they are only off by about .050 or so on your design. So that should be ok

I will take a few pic's of my set up in several different stages, but Iam sure I did things right. On the throw out bearing carrier what is the total length?
Can you put a caliper on one of your new ones so I can check mine, to see if they are close to the correct length??

scott
Scott in wa.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:26 pm

Throwout tube has no effect on clutch setting. Taking pics of the assembled clutch probably will not tell me anything. I think you have the clutch lilnkages and such on the crawler adjusted incorrectly. Read your service manual again, there might be something you missed. It is almost impossible for me to diagnose further than we already have unless you identify a specific problem and what is causing it. You have the finger height set correctly, that is not the problem. Set the throwout bearing out so far that the adjusting bolt is halfway past the edge of the casting, and install the final.
Lavoy

440icd
430 crawler
430 crawler

thanks

Post by 440icd » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:48 pm

Lavoy,
I think you read that wrong, It says "throw out bearing carrier" not tube.
I believe they are two different things. I bought both clutches, throw out bearings, fiber and steel sets and the sleeves from you. I believe they are the thin pipe that slides into the throw out bearing.
Anyway Iam sure I will get back to you.
thanks for your help
scott
Scott in wa.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:01 pm

I see, yes the thin tube is the throwout tube, the actual casting that the throwout bearing presses on to is the carrier. I do not have any new carriers, only used.
One other thing you can do if all esle fails. Set the finger height at 1", that will bring the fingers 1/4" closer to the throwout bearing.
Lavoy

440icd
430 crawler
430 crawler

steering, final

Post by 440icd » Mon May 01, 2006 2:19 pm

Well,
I did get the final on, about 4 times on Sunday.
Made a new throw out bearing carrier, 1/2 inch wider, and put the darn thing in there, and guess what, To tight by 1/2 inch. Crap.
So I took it off and mad another one, this time original size, put it on and noticed that the brake band was slipping off at the bottom, got that in place and put her on again. Now it’s almost perfect.
Don't know how that brake band would mess with the gap between the fingers and the throw out bearing, Oh well, fit like a glove now.
I bet I have had that final on and off 10 times, Iam pretty fast now.
I can have that thing off of there in 15 minutes. LOL...

ONE MORE QUESTION.

Is there an adjustment on the reverser to in gage and disengage, ?? Can you adjust like a steering clutch?
Thanks
Scott
Scott in wa.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 01, 2006 3:51 pm

Reverser is an overcenter clutch, you have to tighten the clutch pacs, I don't remember what the spec is, but I know it is listed in the service manual somewhere.
Lavoy