New user and new 420C

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
fogswamp
420 crawler
420 crawler

New user and new 420C

Post by fogswamp » Sun May 07, 2006 10:03 pm

Just saying hello and am very happy to have found this site! Just got a 1958 420C home, 5 roller with gearmatic winch and Holt blade(made in independence oregon) Fresh motor, good undercarriage, broken winch housing. Will post some pics soon. Looking for sheet metal, and I was wondering if these had any type of arch available? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx FS

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Sun May 07, 2006 11:24 pm

Fogswamp,

I have a Holt on my '56 420. I'm curious about yours. Does it have the frame outside the tracks? Mine does, but it seems to be a bit large for the crawler. It has, though protected the track carriage units throughout the years.

I don't have a winch, and know nothing about what arches may have been used. I suspect a small stand-alone unit could be used?

Gary

fogswamp
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by fogswamp » Mon May 08, 2006 1:54 am

Gary,
The frame is outside the tracks, it does appear a little large for the dozer. I was told that Holt installed the blade and cabs on new dozers from the factory. I will get some photos on here in a while. FS

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 08, 2006 7:04 am

There was an arch available for the Gearmatic, I don't remember the number.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Mon May 08, 2006 8:43 am

FS,

Thanks for the info. Sounds the same as mine. I know that it has been in the family from shortly after it was new, so the blade probably came with it.

Interesting that it was done from the factory. That would indicate that there was at least a little agreement from JD about mounting it. I've often wondered.

My blade has so much damage to some of the brace arms that I will have to remove and replace. It undoubtedly saved the little crawler from serious damage.

Thanks.

Gary

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 08, 2006 8:54 am

I would doubt that the blades were installed at the factory, they would have been a dealer installed item. Deere had a large number of manufacturers that were consedered "Allied Aftermarket Equipment" manufacturers. What this meant is that their equipment was certified for use on John Deere tractors and crawlers. I have an piece of literature that shows a bunch of the "Allied" equipment, and you can't believe how much stuff the aftermarket made to fit these little crawlers.
Holt made rigid and hyd tilt blades. I have literature for the rigid blade, and had a 420 with a tilt blade years ago.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Mon May 08, 2006 1:42 pm

Lavoy,

Yes, when he said "from the factory," I assumed that he meant at a dealer directly after arriving from the factory. I didn't make myself clear. I'm guilty of that, from time to time. Tend to get ahead of myself.

Mine is a fixed blade, a manually adjustable. It does appear to be large for the crawler, but the brackets all seem to be properly done, and everything fits well...aside from where it has been bent from maltreatment.

For the record, I've gone no where on the repairs since last fall. We went south for the winter, and much had to be done on our return. Now, Alaska is in our sights, so I won't get back to the crawler until later in the summer. I have one side all together with the 350 tracks, and it looks as if it will work well. Next step is the left final, and then on to the engine. The blade, itself, will take at least a week, if I don't dally.

bye

Gary

fogswamp
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by fogswamp » Mon May 08, 2006 2:47 pm

You are correct in what I was trying to say, meaning they were installed on newly delivered tractors by Holt. Mine also has seen alot of use/abuse.
Lavoy, I see you are from North Dakota, I have some relatives in the Garrison area, One from Ryder who has been very active with the Makoti Threshing show, we just visited there last May, beautiful country. Just a reminder of the Jackson Prairie Threshing Bee here in Toledo, Wa. the end of August, be nice to see some more crawlers there. Well gonna go figure out how to use this digital camera and try to share some photos. FS :D

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Mon May 08, 2006 8:02 pm

seems like there was some body thinking about selling an arch on this board while back you might do a search and see if you can find it.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 08, 2006 8:58 pm

I've never made it to Makoti, heard it is a nice show. I am 250 miles give or take from Garrison. Have not been through there in years.
Lavoy