Just Bought A 420 Dozer

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
mccann316
420 crawler
420 crawler

Just Bought A 420 Dozer

Post by mccann316 » Fri May 19, 2006 8:10 am

I just bought a 420 dozer online. I haven't got it yet but it is supposedly in really good shape and has new sprockets, tracks, idlers, etc. It also has a winch and canopy and the outside blade. I paid $3700 for it is that a decent deal? I am new to crawlers I want to check it over before I use it. Besides the obvious engine, transmission, coolant and visual inspection what else should I check. Any help is appreciated. I will try to post some pics in the other forum after I get it. The only thing is I wish it had the 6 way inner mount blade on it like the 1010's I looked at. Are the blades interchangeable. Also, I know where there is a complete dead 440 sitting in a field a few miles from my house. Is it worth inquiring about, how many parts interchange with a 420? What is it worth for parts?Thanks.

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Fri May 19, 2006 2:27 pm

If it's in good shape, that's fair price. A working winch is a high price option and if the UC is as good as you have been told, I think you did OK.

Check the bushings on the track. You don't want egg shaped ones. If you can get the front idler up on a 6x6 block or lift with the blade so the tracks will sag on the bottom, shake the rollers on the bottom to see if any are loose/worn out. Look for uneven wear on the front idler. This would indicate a misalignment in the UC and could make it prone to throw a track. Check all bolts on the track frames, pads, final drive housings, clutch housings, frame and frame support bars and clamps, etc. to make sure they are tight. Make sure the track tension is correct with the proper amount of sag on the top. Make sure the swinging drawbar is in place between the final drives and the bolts are tight. Check the hoses for cracks and stress at the fittings. Hot oil spraying on you is no fun, I know from experience.

All this and more is covered in the JD service manual and owners manual. Best advise I can give is to get them and read them. The parts manual is also a great help in repair and finding the right parts, if you need any.

Not many 440 parts interchange. Some will if the engine is gas. If your 420 is above serial 135000. I think some of the drive stuff will swap. Confirm that with Lavoy. The 440 likely has the 63 blade. That's a little heavy for the 420, in my opinion. Depends on how long it has been sitting and how much of the 440 is good as to what is worth as salvage. See if you can get it for $800. Not saying to take advantage of the poor old widow who owns it, if that is the case but, I'd ask what they would take for it.
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

mccann316
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by mccann316 » Mon May 22, 2006 11:28 am

Thanks for the help, where is the best place to get the manuals for this machine?

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Mon May 22, 2006 11:43 am

Lavoy may have some originals. I think he is at Portland right now. They can be bought from Mother Deere but they are pricey. I know a fellow that sells reproductions at a reasonable price. Email me if you want his phone number.
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 22, 2006 3:56 pm

I am out of 440 manuals right now, sorry.
Brad K is putting them on CD, that is a slick way to do it.
Lavoy