440 Reverser

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 Reverser

Post by jac » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:54 pm

Several questions regarding a 440 reverser.

1) Rear clutch seems fine but the front clutch pull is low (17 pounds). Any tricks on adjusting this on a 440 loader? The loader support is in the way and I need an inspection mirror just to look in the access port. Adjusting this thing is not going to be easy. Nothing was slipping when I started rebuilding this machine but might as well get this thing adjusted correctly.

2) Manual says the oil fill port is on the right rear on the reverser case. I can not locate it!!! Found all other openings (e.g over flow stop cock, breather which are both on the left side and the drain plug on bottom) but no fill port. Can oil be added through the front 2" access bung?

3) Is JD Hy-Gard oil OK to use in the reverser or is there something better?
Last edited by jac on Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:14 pm

I might be wrong but I think the foward is on the left side if your sitting on the seat it is a little easier to get to. I have a reverse on mine that needs ajusting and just haven't had time to get to it just don't use it right now If I'm wrong Lavoy will know for sure. I use hy-gaurd in mine.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:44 am

Hy-Gard is what to use.
About the only way to adjust the reverser on a loader is to have someone hang you from the rafters by your ankles. Barring that, just kind of have to do it by feel.
Lavoy

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by jac » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:37 am

Thanks, about what I thought. I will try and see if I can adjust the front clutch and get it a little tigher. Likely just needs a small adjustment but if I do not do it now, it will not get done once I drive this out of my garage.

I am planning on draining and replacing the reverser oil. Can I add the new oil through the 2" access opening used to adjust the front clutch? Still can not find the "fill port" discussed in the service manual. Could it be under the support bracket for the dash board?

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:12 pm

I always used the 2" hole.

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by jac » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:16 pm

Howard and Lavoy:

Thanks for the information. The reverser will be tonight's project.

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by jac » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:44 pm

Are there one or two lock pins on the adjustment ring? Manual indicates two pins are used.

OK, decided it is one locking pin. Should the adjustment ring be rotated upwards or downward to tighted the front clutch? I have moved the ring 1/2 of an adjustment step but need to know which way to adjust since this is quite challenging.

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:34 pm

From the book. Remove 2 inch plug from right rear side of reverser case.Shift reverser control lever to midpoint position to release rear clutch. Depress spring loaded lock pin and move notched ring one notch at a time allowing lock pin to slide back into locked position after each ajustment.Note turning the adjusting ring clockwise (downward) increases the tension required to move the shifting lever, turning the other way reduces the tension. should be 25 to 35 pounds on the scale.If you need directions for the front or forward adjustment I can give them to you to it is the 2 inch plug on the left side.

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:44 pm

ok I went back and reread your post I was turned around which isn't the first time. The book says to put the reverser in reverse to release front clutch. put transmission in neutral and depress the clutch and block it so you can turn the spring loaded lock to where you can reach it. remove block from clutch and shift reverser to neutral. It don't say on the front so I assume it is the same as the rear that clockwise(downward) increses the tension while upward or counter clockwise redues the tension. Good luck.

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

Front Reverser Clutch Adjustment

Post by jac » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:44 pm

Got it adjusted. Not too bad. Just need to have two extra wrists so you can bend your hand in un-natural ways. Adjustment ring goes downwards to tighten the clutch. I got about 4 pounds of increased lever "pull" for each step in the adjustment ring.

Howard: if you need to do this on your machine, the lock pin is on the rear side of the adjustment ring. You can push in the pin (pushing it towards the rear of the machine) with one finger and then use another finger or thumb to rotate the ring. Need to rotate the reverser to get the pin in the correct location to get your hand on it before your can do the adjustment.

As for the rear clutch, I am glad I do not need to adjust it since Lavoy's suggestion to hang from your heels may be the only way to get at it!!!