1010 steering clutch replacement

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Timberwolf13
420 crawler
420 crawler

1010 steering clutch replacement

Post by Timberwolf13 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Hello crawler fans. I am new to the world of crawlers and am in need of some info. I worked as a diesel tech in a KW dealership for years so I have some mechanical experience on heavy equip. Unfortunately, nearly all of that experience was on wheeled machines, not tracked. But to the point....
I am considering buying an old 1010 crawler but it needs the steering clutches replaced. I've been pricing the kits and it's looking like it's gonna be around $650-700 for that. My question is, what is the difficulty level of this job? In other words, can I tackle this myself without much problem or am I gonna have to take it to a repair shop? Like i said before, I have a lot of mech exp but not on tracks etc. I'm just trying to figure out if the price asked for the machine is low enough to get it back to work without screwing myself over in the process. Thanks for your time. Any help is greatly appreciated
Got wood??

JimAnderson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Steering clutchs

Post by JimAnderson » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Welcome to the world of crawlers.If you have experience with heavy
mechanical things then a1010 crawler should be doable.The tracks
need to be removed so the first task will be to split the tracks.Release
the tension on the track adjusters,then remove the snap ring on the master pin,drive out the pin.Next remove the sprocket.The next item is
to remove final drive which is in 250 pound range.Remove the steering clutch assembly and renew the worn parts.This sounds simple until you
find that the track adjuster is frozen and some idiot welded the master
pin to the rail.The biggest problem with these old crawlers isn't
their complecity but rather the things people have done to them over the years.Make sure to get the service and parts manuals.They are a must.
I am not trying to scare you off but these old girls can be a rewarding
challenge.Luck,JimAnderson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:23 pm

If you know which end of the wrench to use, you will be able to figure it out. Like Jim said, get the manuals first prior to teardown and it will be a lot easier.
I keep pretty much all the clutch parts on hand, so that is no issue.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:24 pm

You do not want someone else to do this job for you if you can do it yourself. The steering clutches and brakes are the part of a crawler that you will be tinkering with the most over your years of ownership of the crawler. You need to know what is going on in there, how it works together, and the condition of all the parts in there.

I don’t think you necessarily need to know how the gears in the transmission slide together; nor even understand that the pistons in the engine go up and down; but you do need to know how the steering clutch releases the power to drive the track and how the steering brake is synchronized to it. It is part of how you get the feel for driving the crawler. Gil
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

Timberwolf13
420 crawler
420 crawler

Thanks for the great info!

Post by Timberwolf13 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Greatly appreciated folks. That def has not scared me away, in fact, it's gave me the confidence to proceed. Being an ASE certified diesel tech for a while and working on so many different things at the dealership def taught me, without a manual, things can get out of hand real quick. Since then, the research and proper documentation has been my top and first priority.
Is my price quote for the s.c.kit in the right ballpark? Wanna make sure I'm not getting swindled. If it is then it seems like I could get this lil guy on the job site pretty quick and easy without spending too much of the kids Christmas $$ :D
Got wood??

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:03 pm

At the top of this page you will see a link that says "visit www.jdcrawlers.com". Click that and you will go to the main page with a link that says "view our parts listings". Here you will find just some of the parts that Lavoy sells. He is the one that runs jdcrawlers. If he sells it, he has tested it and knows it fits and works, and he will help you with any questions, plus his prices are good. Gil
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:52 am

You are about right to a little high on the prices you listed for the kits. Get it apart first, there is always something else that need fixing while you are in there.
Lavoy

Timberwolf13
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Timberwolf13 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:40 pm

That's kinda what I figure too. You never know whats really going on til ya get it apart to be sure. I'm glad to hear that on the price. I was trying to figure a lil high to be safe cuz, back to the first point, you never know til it's apart.
I'm gonna focus on the 40c I already have as the top priority but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna try and make a deal on the back burner for the 1010 :lol: never hurts to have a back up crawler, just in case.
Thanks for the help. It was just the info I needed.
Got wood??

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:19 pm

I might have missed it but I didn't see anyone mention getting a gauge for ajusting the pressure plates

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:26 pm

Howard,
Good call, I did not. If you buy the steering clutch kits from me, I include the gauge for setting the pressure plate. In the FAQ's section there is a service bulletin that explains how it is done.
Lavoy

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:07 am

I replaced a steering cluch pressure plate on my 1010cid a while back. Didn't work right when I got finished, so I had to go back in. I had pushed the brake band in, instead of it sliding over the drum. I know that's a rookie mistake! Because everything had just been apart, It went very well the second time. I had it apart ,back together and running in just under 4 hours. My point is that even a major tear down isn't that hard. If I can do it with minimal knowledge and being old, just about anyone can do it. :) gregjo1948
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Timberwolf13
420 crawler
420 crawler

Greatly appreciated.

Post by Timberwolf13 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks folks.

I'll def be buying from Lavoy when repairs come due.

Thanks again to everyone
Got wood??

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:13 am

greg has a good point, but I don't think that's it because I thought he said if he pulls back hard it'll stall the engine, meaning the brake is engaging.
I had the same problem with the brake band not sliding over the drum. I ended up putting the band on the drum and pinning it to the operating mechanism once it was installed. Worked pretty well.
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring

Timberwolf13
420 crawler
420 crawler

Great points

Post by Timberwolf13 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:09 pm

Thanks for the help folks.

So I've found out the machine runs great but smokes just a lil from being left outside for a year or two. Moves back and forth smoothly, just no turning. It's got a solid UC. Tracks are in pretty good shape and have a good amount of adjustment left. It's got a 6way blade but no winch or canopy.
I found another one that's being sold for basically scrap price or maybe less. Locked up motor, but has a canopy and a working winch. Rolls pretty smooth but tracks are about shot and undercarriage is maybe at 40%. Price would be less than buying a winch and canopy outright, and seems like there would be enough good spare parts to make it worth while even if just as a parts crawler. Can't have too many spares, right?? What do you all think? If I bought these 2 and got the 1st one ready to work the price is still about the same as say, what I'll have in my 40c after buying a winch and canopy for it. Or even the 440 I've been looking at that I'll have to buy the same equip for...
Got wood??

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:11 am

sounds great you get a better machine for your needs and the winch and spare parts why is it not home yet??? :D :D :D
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper