Possible New Owner of 1010

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ACcrazy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ACcrazy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:51 am

Just a little update. Fired the 1010 up and ran it down to a corner of my property where it transitions from yard to woods to push some brush. Still only left side steering.
Made a couple very short (probably 20-30- feet) passes and then she died. Checked diesel flow from tank to filters and there was none. Removed the fuel cock from tank and found what looked like small shreds of wood clogging it. Cleaned it out, bled system and restarted. Also found a few larger pieces just before the filters. I ended up doing this about 4 times during my 5 hour ordeal. On the plus side, it ran better and stronger after every cleaning.
Besides the dying and fuel system cleaning, what made this an ordeal was trying to get back out! lol. Where I was at starts to slope down considerably from my yard and I found out while there, that my left track didn't appear to be powering the machine at all. So, all I had was the right side and I couldn't get the darn thing straight back up the hill to save my life! lol. I finally did though using a piece of stump to jam behind the left track, back up, then forward--it took several times but it worked.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:42 am

ACcrazy wrote:Well, I checked out the no right steering issue and it appears the right pressure plate is broken. :(
So, it looks like I need to break the track, remove the sprocket and final drive--is that correct? Or is there some other magic way to repair it? :lol:
If it is turning to the LEFT but NOT the right and your left track has no power them your LEFT clutch is slipping like crazy ( or striped/broken shaft)... I don't know what you seen as "broken" on your right pressure plate but it does not appear to be affecting the viability of the right clutch :) :)
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

ACcrazy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ACcrazy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:21 pm

jtrichard wrote:
ACcrazy wrote:Well, I checked out the no right steering issue and it appears the right pressure plate is broken. :(
So, it looks like I need to break the track, remove the sprocket and final drive--is that correct? Or is there some other magic way to repair it? :lol:
If it is turning to the LEFT but NOT the right and your left track has no power them your LEFT clutch is slipping like crazy ( or striped/broken shaft)... I don't know what you seen as "broken" on your right pressure plate but it does not appear to be affecting the viability of the right clutch :) :)
When I had the covers off, you could see the fingers on the right pressure plate were missing, so it's no wonder I have no right turning ability.

Yeah, I hope it's just the clutch slipping and not something more sinister on the left side.

Have you seen those aftermarket clutch/brake kits for the 1010 on ebay? Are they any good?

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:09 pm

I kinda doubt that the fingers are missing the right pack may be rusted and swollen and that will push the fingers down to where you may not be able to see them very well or it has a bad throwout bearing and the ends of the fingers could be worn off.... if you push up to something that wont move and pull the right lever does both tracks stop? does the right lever have way more free "pedal" then the left? ...... As for clutch parts Lavoy sells them here
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

ACcrazy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ACcrazy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:56 am

jtrichard wrote:I kinda doubt that the fingers are missing the right pack may be rusted and swollen and that will push the fingers down to where you may not be able to see them very well or it has a bad throwout bearing and the ends of the fingers could be worn off.... if you push up to something that wont move and pull the right lever does both tracks stop? does the right lever have way more free "pedal" then the left? ...... As for clutch parts Lavoy sells them here
I could clearly see the fingers were missing. One of the broken stubs was visible. Everything is pretty rust free inside as well.
The lever adjustment is all the way adjusted to where there should be no play. The throwout bearing is going past where it should contact the fingers.
I had the left side clutch to compare--it was working as it should. The throwout bearing was disengaging the pressure plate and applying the brake band.

I'm going to make an attempt at disassembly here shortly so we'll get to see what went south.

I appreciate the help jtrichard, and I'm sure I'll need more as the tear down process moves forward. :)

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:33 am

WOW never heard or seen one do that looks like you will be pulling both sides down :x :x