JD 2010C dozer hydraulic problem

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
deleon361
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by deleon361 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:27 am

Just a lil bit but noticed yesterday it smoked a lot more and could smell the coolant real bad stopped the dozer and checked coolant level and was real low filled back up. Ran dozer again for a bit and went low again

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:18 am

If you are losing that much and not seeing it pour on the ground then you have a major internal leak. If you smell it in the exhaust you could very well have a blown head gasket or cracked head but you could also be leaking into your oil pan too.

If I were you I would immediately drain the engine oil and see if any coolant is in there- if it is leaking to the oil pan and you leave it in too long you could ruin your connecting rod and/or main bearings. Engine parts for the 2010 diesels are not cheap.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

wildbill65
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: I'm having the same problem. Fluid and filters clean. No lift, only down pressure. What can I try?

Post by wildbill65 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:07 pm

jtrichard wrote:
Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:48 pm
there are two filters on a 2010 dozer (with 6 way and no rear pump ) if you have HLR trans the filter that is plugged is on the right side below your right foot it has 3 bolts and a temp gauge in the cover look at side of the belly pan drain trans pull cover there is a spring behind the cover the metal filter has a pull wire..... pull it out you will find that it is very plugged..... clean with fine wire brush diesel fuel and final wash with carb cleaner .....very hard to get completely cleaned it will look cleaned but will not be the first time..... look and make sure that the open end of the filter still has a flat rubber (for lack of better term) gasket if not it will be sucked half way to the pump if it is lose clean thoroughly and get some 3m weather strip adhesive and reconnect it
My dad told me there would be days like this.

wildbill65
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: JD 2010C dozer hydraulic problem

Post by wildbill65 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:11 pm

I'm having the same issue, however, no improvements with fluid and filter change. Down pressure is excellent, but blade will grunt, but not lift.

What would be the next steps to try to troubleshoot this problem? I really appreciate the input.

Bill

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:12 am

If you have changed the hydraulic fluid and filter, and you say it has good down pressure (I understand that to mean it will lift the front of the crawler easily when you apply hydraulic force to put the blade down); I would suspect at least one of your lift cylinders is leaking internally and needs to be packed. I would plan on packing both of them if it were mine. Many of those cylinders used leather/fabric cups for the piston seals. One cup can fail and you lose function in one direction, but not the other. Lavoy can likely help you with the parts you will need.

wildbill65
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by wildbill65 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:25 pm

Hey jtrichard and Jim B, I sure appreciate the information!
I've switched the blade control hoses and have the same result. I'll have both cylinders rebuilt and go from there. If no help, then I know it's an issue with the control valve. It's been a head-scratcher for me, since I had good down pressure. You guys are the best 👌. Thanks so much!
Wildbill