Looking for trans reverser alternative.

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Special ed
MC crawler
MC crawler

Looking for trans reverser alternative.

Post by Special ed » Sun May 01, 2005 9:19 pm

Hi all, I have a 440 ICD. I have the trans reverser out and it needs clutches. The fiber clutch ears all broke off. This is the second time since My Dad did it about 20 yrs ago. Looking in the parts book, It shows that this crawler came with the trans reverser as a option. Has anyone ran the other set up. Bad Idea? or good? Also how much for replacement clutches?
Could someone also tell me what is type A trans fluid for the reverser unit? Thanks for any help.

S.e.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 02, 2005 8:53 am

First question, are you using the main clutch when you shift the reverser or are you operating it when the crawler is still moving without using the engine clutch?
You can put in the straight shaft and eliminate the reverser, but to me that ruins the crawler. You will only have one reverse, and you will have to be careful every time you shift not to grind the gears.
Clutch discs are about $34 each if I remember correctly.
Lavoy

Special ed
MC crawler
MC crawler

transreverser

Post by Special ed » Mon May 02, 2005 10:50 am

Hi Lavoy, I was using the main clutch first, then throw it in reverse. I will put in the clutches then. Do you have them? How do I go about ordering them? Thanks for the reply. Ed

p.s. what's type A trans fluid? or what fluid do you put in the reverser?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 02, 2005 9:06 pm

I don't keep them on hand, can have them if about 3 days. Check both clutch packs while you are in there.
Type A is not really around anymore. The other recommended fluid is 303 fluid, I think Deere calls it Hy-Gard now, anyhow it is just common systems fluid. Mobil calls it 424, I think IH calls it Hy-Trans.
Lavoy