Opinions on JD 2010 Crawler Loader

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Opinions on JD 2010 Crawler Loader

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:38 pm

Greetings everyone-

I just registered on this site, but have been visiting it for quite a while and learning as I go. Luckily I don't have to worry about a brand war when I ask about a Deere on here :)

I recently found a JD 2010 crawler loader with Model 50 backhoe attachment for sale in my area. It has the diesel engine. I don't know the year (since the serial #s aren't readable), but it looks to be between a '62 and '65 based on the Johnny Popper site.

I did a casual look over and test drive, using some of the information I have found on various sites such as this one. It started right up (no ether) and seems to turn, brake, and shift well. The bucket and loader arm pins have a little play but not too bad. There are no major hydraulic leaks.

I would say the undercarriage is in visually fair condition (I didn't have the rail height and link measurement specs with me); the sproket teeth are rounded and not sharp and the interior of the rails and pins/bushings seem like they are in decent shape. The owner stated that they had redone the final drives within the last couple of years. The grouser pads are pretty worn, so I think I would have to replace them at some point.

The backhoe is a model 50 and has a few small spot welds but otherwise seems in good shape. It has almost all new hoses and the bucket teeth are decent. It doesn't leak significantly either.

So, now my questions:

1) What is the general opinion on the 2010? I have heard that they are lemons and one of the worst JD models ever built; I have also heard that they can be a great little trackloader. I know parts are not readily available, but it seems some parts such as the grouser pads may be interchangeable with the JD 350. I am not looking for a big machine; wanted to stay with something smaller that can maneuver in my timber and pull out smaller fallen trees, grade a little, dig a little, etc. I'm not looking to drop an entire forest or anything like that.

2) What is general opinion on the Model 50 backhoe? I heard that JD was selling retrofit kits for new swing cylinders (this one still has the round "donut" swing bearing).

3) Does anyone have an idea on total weight (crawler loader + backhoe)?

4) Any other issues/things to look for or avoid?

Thanks in advance!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:46 pm

Sound like you have found a neat machine. 2010's do have a bad reputation, but whether it is fully deserved is the bigger arguement. Operated and maintained properly, they were fine. Abused and neglected, they would give you problems. Is that the fault of the machine, not really. The early 2010's had the small bushing chain, and that undoubtedly was a mistake with the weight and horsepower you are dealing with on a crawler of that size.
The swing motors were perfectly functional, but were much harder to work on then a couple of externally mounted cylinders, so got a bad rap.
Keep in mind that many of the problems the occured or were/are complained about on the 2010 by and large relate to a time when they were run 8-12 hours a day. I doubt that you are going to consistently put that many hours on yours, and I am sure you will maintain it far better than the guy that was not responsible for the cost of repairs if he broke it.
I would caution not to get overboard on price, if it gets too high, then you just as well start looking at 350 or 450.
The crawler loader with a rack of weights on it will probably be at least 15,000 lbs, deduct 1,200lbs for the counterweights, but add almost 3,000lbs for the hoe, so it is no lightweight.
Welcome to the sight, good luck.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:00 pm

Lavoy-

Thanks for the advice. I knew the loader and backhoe combination are heavy, but my guess was about a ton lower than you stated. It is really a stretch to try and pull that with a 3/4 ton truck with gooseneck trailer.

One question- how do you know if the rails are the thin (old style) or thicker ones? Also do you have the rail height specs handy for that machine? I looked on crawlerheaven and they have the pin and bushing wear specs for the 2010, but not the rail height specs.

Thanks again!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:24 pm

Difference in the rails is pin and bushing diameter, not height. Meassure the diameter of a pin, and a bushing.
Lavoy

JD430C
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by JD430C » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:44 pm

tigerhaze, i just picked up a brochure on the 2010, and it lists the diesel crawlerloader at approximatley 11,668. the operators manual lists the 50 backhoe at approximatley 2,550.

andrew
jds- 450B, 450C, 550, 4020, 3140 MFWD, 5200 MFWD

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:33 pm

Thanks- I appreciate the info. I plan on contacting the farmer that owns the machine and go do a more thorough inspection. I needed the weight information to find out shipping options; it is located almost 200 miles from me.

I think it is in good enough shape for the limited use I will put it through to make it worth considering. My only real concern is the continued availability of parts.