440 ICD running in opposite direction?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:05 pm

It will colapse the muffler and light exhaust in a second But it also plasters the carbon into the inside of your air filter check that .Digitup.

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:38 am

Hi,
I have worked on truck diesels for many years and with the older diesels (mid 80's and older) this can happen very easy (I heard it happening on Detroit, Mack and anything else that had inline injection pumps). Especially when backing into a loading dock and the driver does not disengage the clutch soon enough. The trucks bounces back forward which starts turning the engine in reverse. This is hell on engine crankshafts (shock load) along with the rest of the driveline. Than the driver wonders why the truck moves forward when in reverse gear and backwards when in a forward gear???
I even had a driver leave it running and walk inside to call me up to and ask why it was doing this!!!
On a Detroit running backwards it cannot suck the normal volume of air through the exhaust and into the cylinders (only a few cylinders open at a time) to the blower and out the intake. This can cause the blower seals to fail and allow oil into the intake and YES a diesel enginecan run on engine oil!!
It will not run on oil from the blower seals when running backwards but if it caused them to fail it will start to run on oil when restarted in normal direction. If there is enough oil they will keep increasing speed until they run out of oil, sieze up or explode! It is common knowledge if a 2 cycle Detroit starts to run away flip the emergency shutoff (make sure they work) and than you yourself run away!
Newer 2 cycle snowmobiles are design with a switch that causes the engine to almost stop, reverse direction and speed back up with normal throttle control. This is there reverse, nice setup without added gears and weight.
Don
1959 440IC

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by lastchancegarage » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:26 pm

Don,
Thanks a lot for the background and info. You mentioned something I never noticed before on mine...that being just where the emergency shut off is! I haven't seen any shutoff cables or flapper valves on the engine to engage in the event of a run away. Were some engines built without these safety features? Mine's a '59 also. I'll have to take a closer look. Would it be an air shutoff or a fuel? Thanks again.

Scott
Keep the tracks down and the torque up!!

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
1959 Case 310B backhoe w/belly grader option
195? ATC GT-25 dozer
19?? Stow 1 ton roller w/rare cooler option!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:52 pm

In this application they do not have it. I don't know if the 53 series had them or not, I assume so, but not sure. I know we had an 8-71 in a Terex crawler that had it, and I have seen the knob on some old semis with 318's and such.
Lavoy

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:06 pm

Some diesels have a built in air shut off valve [butter fly just like a choke ] on the intake manafold Ispent some time in Alberta hauling crude oil to the refinery for my friends trucking company when he got new trucks they would not turn a wheel till they got a air shut off instaled One night I was dumping crude just as a new Mack was going over the pit beside me the Mack cought my fumes and took off like a rocket tore the drive shaft out and blew the engine in a thousand pieces The hood just shook and oil and parts flew every where After that I had a new respect for diesels and no trucks were alowed over the dump pits with out a an air shut off instaled [One piston flatened my drivers front tire ] when the motor cought fumes it was all over in seconds I lerned two lessons in seconds that night and for a third lesson found out why Ron never sent those trucks out with out a shutoff valve installed If you pull the shut off knob out on a Detroit then as the motor is coming to a halt it will kick over backwords at the last second shove in the knob and you can get it to run backwards But I dont recomend doing this or include doing so on your next job resume. Digitup.

neil
420 crawler
420 crawler

reverse rotation

Post by neil » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:24 pm

The small gas cars that the rail line maintenance crews used a long time ago had to make the engines run in reverse to get home. They had to catch the piston at just the right spot and reapply spark as the engine was stopping. What happens when a train is coming the other way and the only way to get clear is to reverse the engine? It took a fine touch and a really sharp ear. I was out on the line about 35 years ago, luckily there were no trains coming.

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by lastchancegarage » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:05 pm

That's pretty hardcore Neil. Sounds like what some might equate to missing a downshift at the top of Old Smokey in an overloaded log truck. :shock: :lol: :lol:

I'll have to give the 440 a good look to see if there are any levers disconnected maybe behind the governor cover. If I find anything I'll post a picture. If not I'll just go play in the dirt!! :) :)
Keep the tracks down and the torque up!!

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
1959 Case 310B backhoe w/belly grader option
195? ATC GT-25 dozer
19?? Stow 1 ton roller w/rare cooler option!

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:28 pm

Years ago when Detrroit made the 8v92 silver in the 475 horse power version I worked for a truckimg outfit and saw most of your fime country and all of mine with that truck And when shuting down in the yard [and no boss present] we would bump them over backwards just for fun on shut down I didnot know at that time how hard it was on them so we did it all the time when you got on to it you could run backwards 85% of the time first time But I would not want a freight train heading for me or shure as hell I would miss the timeing and have to bale out and make a run for it I got a snownobile that a small chip added your computer board puts the motor in reverse but the exhaust is still in the same flow as forward so wont harm the engine But it has to be hard on those Detroits in reverse rotation and I have heard the Mack motor still exhauses proper so the real stress is still on the crank and berrings when they go backward also .Digitup.