1010 problems

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ryan
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010 problems

Post by ryan » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:03 pm

Hi, I have a 1961 1010 with 6 way blade. The dozer has very little power, It powers out pushing dirt in 1st and 2nd gear, and it barely moves in 3rd and 4th gear. It has blue smoke, and it is getting hot after about 15 minutes running, I just bought this thing, i have narrowed down to a motor problem, any help will be appreciated

Thanks
Ryan

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

quick checks

Post by lastchancegarage » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:32 pm

Ryan,
Welcome to the site. I'm not familiar with 1010's, is yours diesel or gas? If gas, pull the plugs and do a compression check on the cylinders and record each reading. Do the check with the engine at normal operating temp. If your readings are low (60-100 psi) squirt a little oil in the cylinders and run the check again. If the pressures jump up, your rings are worn. If the pressures remain low, it could be valve seats or possible head gasket leak. If the valve seals are leaking that'll explain the blue smoke. If they're the original rubber seals, they're probably more plastic than anything right about now. If you get one cylinder that has a distinct drop in pressure readings, that could be a head gasket leak which would explain the hot running condition. I'm sure some of the other guys running 1010's will give you other pointers. This will at least give you a baseline to start troubleshooting from. Good luck.

Scott
Keep the tracks down and the torque up!!

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
1959 Case 310B backhoe w/belly grader option
195? ATC GT-25 dozer
19?? Stow 1 ton roller w/rare cooler option!

ryan
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ryan » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:02 am

It is a diesel, i have already had the head off and put new head gasket on and checked all that stuff out, it is all good, i have had the injectors tested and they are all good, i have already figured out that the injector pump was a 180 degrees out of time, which caused it to be real sluggish and get hot and now have any power, and barely move in 1st gear. I put the pump in time, and now it has more power than before, and will move itself in 2nd gear now, but it still ain't got all the power it should, or ain't got all the power it should compared to the other 1010 i got. It still has blue smoke and is getting hot, so now i am wandering if maybe the oil pump is a tooth out of time, (the oil pump drives the injector pump).

P.S. the pump has been rebuilt also

jdman
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by jdman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:22 am

Does It Start Hard ???????? Sounds Like Your Pump Timing Is Off Or Not Getting Enough Fuel, Have You Changed The Filters ???? If The Engine Runs O.K. ... You May Have Your Tracks To Tight......

Jeff

ryan
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ryan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:46 am

Yes, now that i put the pump in time it does start hard the first time, acts like its got air in it, give it little shot either and fires up, but with blue smoke. no i haven't checked the filters yet, and one track is tight, would one track being tight really take that much power from it??? I am going to pull the pump out and make sure the oil pump is in time, and check the filters.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:11 am

Keep in mind that on a 90 degree day, if it has not been run yet, a 1010 will require glow plugging to start regardless of pump or engine condition, and will smoke and slobber a little bit until they warm up some.
Lavoy

ryan
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ryan » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:19 am

i know they still need glow plugging and still smoke and what not, but they way this thing is acting is not your typical diesel engine being cold natured, It will sit there and roll and roll no matter how long you glow plug or how much you hand prime it. I am just going to have to pull the pump and see if the oil pump is in time and make sure the injector pump is in time, and check the fuel filters, and loosen that one track and go from there i guess.

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:01 pm

Also check and make sure your breather pipe isn't pluged up any where.

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:58 am

Ryan,

Blue smoke is always oil, not fuel. I would say you have problem with cylinders/pistons/rings or head/valves.

White smoke would normally be fuel which can be caused by incorrect timing or faulty injector pump/nozzles. White smoke could also be coolant coming out the exhaust.

Overheating can be caused by incorrect timing, too much fuel, not enough air or faulty cooling system.

I hope this helps.

Don
1959 440 IC

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:30 pm

Have you tried advancing or retarding the timing to see if there is any change?
lavoy