Quill removal

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ALPO
MC crawler
MC crawler

Quill removal

Post by ALPO » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:18 pm

Hello, I'm new to this site but I'm wondering if I can get a little assistance. I'm working on a 420 crawler with a bad steering clutch. While I've got the clutch out I want to replace the seal behind the quill as the clutch housing was obviously oily. Not sure if it was the final drive seal or the one behind the quill so I'm replacing both. My question is this: Does the quill come out without removing the clutch housing or do I have to remove that too. I removed the 6 bolts that hold the quill to the transmission housing but it seems stuck to the clutch housing. Any help would be appreciated.
Alpo

JimAnderson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Quill

Post by JimAnderson » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:06 pm

ALPO,
You can remove the ring gear quill without removing the steering clutch housing but it is much easier to pry out with the clutch housing
removed.More than likely the seal in that quill is leaking so replacing
it is best.Good luck getting the seal out of the quill.It is a bitch to get
out.In my experiance it is one of the most difficult things to deal with on the whole machine.If anyone has a good trick to remove them please
yell out as I have many more to do.Luck JimAnderson

wizner85
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by wizner85 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:44 am

Make sure you have all the bolts out. I thought there were 8 total? It's a pain to get the quill out. Good luck.
440 ICD 64 blade & 8a gear attic winch
440 ICD 831 loader with scarifier and weights
420 62 blade 3pt
Looking for 24 scarifier and 440 log arch

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:53 am

It is a tight fit between the quill and the clutch housing. Crud and moisture tend to rust the quill in some. Some of the tricks I have used:
Pull the back cover on the trans and you can tap on the quill from the inside out.
Rotate the quill with an air hammer while spraying penetrant on the OD to loosen it up.
Once rotated, I have tapped two opposing holes to 7/16" NC and used them to "jack" the quill out. The threads will be shallow, so be careful.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

ALPO
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ALPO » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks for the tips. Tonight is "Tractor Night" where the guys meet to work on whatever happens to be in the shop. We will see if we can make some progress on that crawler. Thanks, ALPO

ALPO
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ALPO » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:44 pm

Success!!!! Lavoy, I used your method, using a brass punch and hammer I was able to rotate the quill. Then I tapped two holes and tightened in a couple bolts. It didn't want to come out evenly though. It was hung up a little in one spot so I tapped another hole and then with a little bolt pressure it practically fell out! Thank you for the tip!!!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:36 am

Glad it worked.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com