little lever on 1010

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
bobz
40C crawler
40C crawler

little lever on 1010

Post by bobz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:58 am

hi guys, I'm been going through my manuals that I bought from jd , I can't find what is the purpose of the little lever next to trans dipstick? it's wobblely loose I don't want turn it or really touch it until knowing the function of it . plus I'm ready to drop the trans and reverser fluids too . it's saying flush with fuel then move back an forth then drain . my ? is should I let run and heat all the fluids first then do the change, I figure more sludge will come out hot then cold . I really can run her yet ! waiting on my inj pump rebuild to come back that was $1000. to have rebuilt with updated internals plus cams. I was trying to do something while I was at a idle and had some time and the parts and fluids. I'm changing all and she does need it. I'm already balls deep in this thing and haven't really used it yet. it's got a hold on me. :wink:

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:41 am

Hi,

Sounds like the PTO engage/disengage lever. Even if there is no PTO output shaft on the rear of the machine, the internals are still present with the lever.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

bobz
40C crawler
40C crawler

little lever on 1010

Post by bobz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:44 am

I don't have a pto but seems so loose ,what way should the lever be facing then since I won't be using it at all ? that it won't be engage while running the machine. thanks stan

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:19 am

Lever towards the center of the transmission is off. Won't hurt anything either way.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

bobz
40C crawler
40C crawler

little lever on 1010

Post by bobz » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:50 pm

thanks stan, lavoy, that little lever was just sitting there on the pto shaft ,I picked it up , it wasn't doing nothing. the lever has a pin running through the top of it. I can't tell if part on the shaft is inside the lever housing. I felt the shaft going down in the trans feels flush . first sight when seen the pin in the lever head. lever just sittin there I'm thinking it's snapped off and the other part of the shaft is still inside the lever. things that make u go hmmmm! QUESTION can water get in or around the shaft ? the lever has no way to connect on the shaft. can I put a plastic or rubber cap over the pto shaft since it does have a hole in the center of the shaft and just do away with the lever ? since that baffled me I went and tackled and fixed the 4 sd shifter today. it was very sloppy. the pin was backed out shifts s so I banged it back in, it tighten up the sloppiness and greased it up. what ever I do... I'm further then I was....

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:05 pm

Yes, you can cap it with something water proof, won't hurt a thing, just make sure you have the PTO completely engaged or disengaged.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com