40C hydraulic cylinder adjustment

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
BradE
40C crawler
40C crawler

40C hydraulic cylinder adjustment

Post by BradE » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:54 am

Folks:
The single hydraulic arm on my 1955 40C does not raise the blade as high as it might. At least 2" of the single piston arm is unused on a full lift because there is a stop pin that a collar hits and then stops the rise. The collar is all the way to one end. I can move the stop pin all the way to the cylinder. Is this the adjustment I should be making as the collar is all the way at the other end?
http://learningwithtechnology.org/1955-40c/

There's an "X" bracing between the side arms connected to the blade. I'm worried about getting hung up on a stump with this rig ( my last one didn't have this as there was a hydraulic piston on each side). I can't lift the blade all the way, and even then, it's a concern.

Should I remove that "X" bracing? I'm afraid doing so might weaken the blade mount and cause damage if I pushed anything significant off-center.

Thanks!
JD 40C 4 roll 1955, snow tracks and sprockets from a 350

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:33 am

What you have on the cylinder is all you will get. If you want to get any more lift, you will have to get a cylinder with a shorter collapsed length, but then you will lose dig depth most likely
No, don't remove the cross bracing, it is there for a reason.
If you want a blade with no braces and higher lift, you need to find a different blade, a #61 blade is a good blade, it just doesn't lit high or dig deep.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com