Tracks rub against side of blade support brackets.

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
RHT
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by RHT » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:55 pm

I have a 1950 John Deere Crawler which has a 2 cylinder engine. The only problem that I am having is when the crawler is at an angle going up or down a hill that occasionally the left side or right side track stick against the lift bracket for the front blade. This does not happen when I drive straight. Does any one have an idea of the cause and resolution. I also have 2 snap in hydraulic lines that are behind the seat. These are both leaking hydraulic fluid . I need to know where I can find the o-rings to replace these bad seals. Thanks
RHT

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:36 am

Dozer frame is loose, mounts loose, bushings bad, some things to check.
lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

RHT
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by RHT » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:39 pm

Lavoy:
I'm a new owner of this JD Crawler and appreciate the feedback. I have already found areas of the Crawler frame that had missing bolts. One of the areas that lacked bolts was the framework which supports the hydraulic cylinder on the left side. I am going to copy down the model and serial number so I can get the right manual for parts identification and maintenance instructions.
RHT
RHT

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:12 pm

Does it have one or two cylinders? Inside or outside frame? Angle? Tilt? We should be able to figure it out with that info if it is a factory blade.
lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

RHT
40C crawler
40C crawler

Tracks Rubbing Reply

Post by RHT » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:55 pm

This Crawler is a 1950 2-cylinder and the previous owner put an aftermarket blade on it. This blade is 6 feet wide. This John Deere was just rebuilt before I bought it but the only major issue with it is the oil ring seals for 2 hydraulic lines that snap or twist in and the track on the right side was rubbing on the plow frame. After reading a reply in this forum, I installed two bolts on the framework for the left cylinder as the framework on that side had 3 holes and only one bolt. To make matters worse, I found that the blade has a steel pin which is supposed to have lock-pins or bolts on both sides to limit the right to left travel of the blade or vice versa . The inboard side of the blade on the right side was missing a pin and allowing the track to run into the lift frame. I am going to liberally grease all three rollers on both sides of this crawler, check for any more loose or missing frame bolts and then run an operational test to see if both tracks stay clear of the front blade framework.
RHT