Looking for first crawler / dozer, wanting something small

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:17 pm

Hi,

They do remove stumps. You just need to take your time about it. In fact, the smaller the machine, the more time you need to take. ;)

There is little difference between the 2-cyl gas and diesel. Except your hearing. You will lose that with the diesel. :P

Actually, I never dozed with the 2-cyl diesel. I used one for haying. Noisy, noisy, noisy compared to the gas. But hayed better since the diesel had a 1000 RPM PTO vs 540 for the gas. With a 1k RPM bailer, it was half again as fast baling. Had to run it wide open, hence the noise. 2 cycle diesel sounded a lot like following a OTR bus uphill all day....

I don't know about the 1010 diesel vs gas, but suspect it also doesn't make much difference. Someone else needs to talk about that.

Now, the JD 350 diesel was a lot better than the gas. But, that is 'late model' around here. ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

DukeofDeere
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DukeofDeere » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:45 pm

Mac wrote:I feel like what I'm getting as the general opinion is.... They aren't great for stumps. :lol: That is just fine though. I mostly need it for pushing around some large piles of dirt, leveling an area, and making a small road.

Is there any noticeable difference between gas and diesel machines?
I have a late gas 440IC. Has the 62 blade (manual 6 way). Works well for grading drives, yards, pushing snow, etc. Starts well even when it is quite cold up here in the north. Diesel would need to be plugged in when its very cold.
Stumping just takes a bit more time with a Dozer than a backhoe.
There are a few good machines around to be had.
All depending on your preference.

Happy hunting,
Duke