420C worth fixing?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Paul J
40C crawler
40C crawler

420C worth fixing?

Post by Paul J » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:46 pm

I have a 420C in pieces in my shop. I'm trying to determine if it's worth fixing.

About 20 years ago, I broke the FD pinion shaft on the right side (long stupid story). It has been stored inside for the duration, waiting it's turn. When I took it apart recently, I discovered that a previous owner had not installed the retainer on the end of the axle shaft. The bolt holes in the end of the shaft had been hammered and were unusable. They had welded the bearing to the axle, and the race to the housing. The final drive housing was destroyed, but I found a used housing, plus a used axle shaft, and another pinion shaft. Now I see that the spline for the left axle shaft/bull gear is badly worn, and I have to figure out if there's a fix for that problem, or will it require replacement parts. There is 3 degrees of unwanted rotation in the loose spline on the left. The seal area on both axle shafts will need built up and turned down/polished. The bearings in both final drives are shot, and of course the seals also. I'd want to install new pressure plates in both sides. My son is a phone man, and one of his customers gave him a set of new friction plates for both sides of the finals, so there is a big savings there. It has a 62 blade on it. Engine ran good when it was parked, ha. I added oil to both cylinders, and rolled it over for a few years before neglecting it entirely. Sprockets, rollers, and idlers appear to be in good condition, possibly even replaced. The pins and bushings have been turned, but the track is snaky. It has a five speed transmission, no reverser, has a PTO, and part of a three point hitch. I guess the summation is - I'd like to fix it, but I don't like expensive surprises. Right after I bought it, I used it to build an erosion control dam, and was paid more than I had in the dozer, so I've always figured that I had gotten my money back on the original purchase. Sorry to ramble on - just expressing my thoughts on the subject.

Paul J
420C, 5 roller, 62 blade

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:41 am

To fix it right, you'll have more in it than it will bring, if sold. With 3 point and pto, it would be a handy little machine to have. You said, it has already paid for itself so, I think you should repair it and have fun playing with it. gregjo1948
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford