440 ICD Purchase; Things to look for question

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

440 ICD Purchase; Things to look for question

Post by wwattson » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:06 pm

I'm new to the group and in the market for a 440 or 1010. I've got a line on what appears to be a fairly nice 440 ICD and wanted to ask the group what sort of things you should pay attention to in a pre-purchase inspection. Are there any particular problems with 440s that are known issues that might change a purchasing decision and what is the fair value of a 440 ICD loader? Thanks for any help.

Bill Wattson
Bill Wattson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:53 pm

As always, buy an undercarriage, that will bury you the fastest if it is bad. Look at the finals to see if they have been blown, check track clutch housings for breakage or welding.
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:56 pm

Thanks Lavoy, that's what I needed to know. I'm hoping to get down to see it in the next few days. I may have some more questions after I get a look.
Bill Wattson

Keithfarm1
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Keithfarm1 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:06 pm

Wish I would have had that advice before buying my 1010, although now I am attached to her and will spend what is nec. to bring back to speed, the "excellent undercarriage" turned out to have been worn out for years, bushings eaten through to pins, cracked links, shot drive sprocket, missing and broken idlers etc. working now to save the 3k more or less to rectify. Best of luck.
Keithfarm1

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:41 am

Interesting outcome. As soon as I posted this question to the group, the seller disappeared. Hard to say what happened. That being said, I'm still looking for a 440 or 1010 in need of TLC and a new home if someone has a line on such a critter. The closer to West Bend, WI, the better.
Bill Wattson

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:35 pm

Bill,

I wish that I had done the following when I bought my 440ic.

You will need to get the tracks off the ground and support with blocks or jack stands (do not rely on jacks or hydraulics as they may suddenly fail) Check all lower rollers for excessive play and take a good look at track bushings for wear and play between them and the pins. Also see if spockets teeth are worn to a point, that shows bushings/pins may be wore in the tracks. Pull/pry in and out on upper idlers to make sure retaining plates are still there and due the same for rear sprockets/axle shaft.
Look for any missing bolts in the finals to diff housing (mine was missing about 6 of the lower ones). I am suprised I did not have any final drive housing cracks/breakage. If you are looking at one with a 2 cyl gas engine make sure the battery hold down is there and doing its job (again mine was not but I fixed it before any problems). If it steers ok on hard surface than try on grass (something where it really digs in to turn) and if it does not turn unless you pull really hard than you may have a steering brake/clutch problem.
I hope this helps.

Don

JD 440ic