steering clutch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
bjenrus
MC crawler
MC crawler

steering clutch

Post by bjenrus » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:12 pm

I have a 1957 JD 420C that I just spent a bunch of time adjusting the tracks, clutches, and steering brakes. I have the operator manual and tried to follow it carefully. I went out to push some dirt and it seemed fine at first. After it got warmed up and with a load, it only wants to steer to the left. When I pull the right lever it will stop moving. Is the left clutch slipping or could it be something else? It still seems to have the correct free play on the lever. I am new at this.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:18 am

I think you are right. The left side is slipping. Did you use the specially made adjustment gauge? If you didn't, Lavoy sells and ships them. If you had both sides apart and didn't use the gauge, you should probably take them both apart and adjust properly. gregjo1948
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:25 am

Usually when it is a time of operation issue prior to slippage, there is oil in the clutches.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

bjenrus
MC crawler
MC crawler

steering clutch

Post by bjenrus » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:29 am

Thanks guys! I had it out again today and it definitely gets worse after using for a while. When I adjusted the free play, it looked oily in there. Probable a leaky seal. I haven't had it apart yet but the previous owners obviously have. When you pull off the outside cover with the final drive does the clutch come with it? Also have another problem. Previous owner welded the pin on the master link.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:47 am

Clutch stays with the final drive, yes.
Can you cut or grind enough of the weld off to break what remains and get it out?
Lavoy

bjenrus
MC crawler
MC crawler

steering clutch

Post by bjenrus » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:44 pm

Thanks Lavoy, I will try to cut or grind it off. Do you have a master link and pin in stock? Looks to me that I will destroy both when I do that. Also I don't have the clips that hold the master pin. Do you have the clutch parts, oil seals, ect. for putting it back together? If I have to take it apart, I want to put it together right. I hope I don't have to remove the clutch housing. I have parts and service manuals which I am studying, but they don't tell you the tricks that come from experience.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:46 pm

Master pin is a Deere only item, I can get it for you, but probably can't save you any money. If the link gets damaged so it won't hold the OEM style pin, cheapest solution will be to switch to a drive master pin, and I have them in stock.
Normally stock all the parts, at times may be sold out of one or the other item til my stocking orders come in.
Lavoy