1010 Track Loader gas/ #45 combine gas engine

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Limb Shed
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010 Track Loader gas/ #45 combine gas engine

Post by Limb Shed » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:52 am

First, thank you Lavoy for activating my account and allowing me on here. I've visited you sight often since I bought my 1010 track loader last summer and find it very informative.
My 1010 gas has a seized motor which since I've tore down found out sleeves are severely rusted and pitted, I cannot remove the pistons. Sleeves and pistons cost more than I'm willing to invest. I've got access to a JD#45 combine engine. Now, the engine in combine is not a identical engine, It has the side cover access plate that covers the lifter gallery, whereas the crawler engine does not . From what I see from the pictures of the combine motor, shape of bell housing end of block look the same. I haven't seen on here that the motor in combine is the identical motor, but that it will bolt in. The man with the combine is waiting on me to pull the trigger because he has someone else that wants to take it for scrap. Am I safe to go ahead and purchase this motor. Will the hydraulic mount and pump all bolt to the front of the combine motor and all fit neat and tidy? Was going to post image of combine motor but haven't figure out how yet.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:55 am

Sounds like a gamble to me if not identical. Combines did share engines with the crawlers, but there were also different engines in the combines that are different. Side access plate sounds to me like a flat head engine.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Limb Shed
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Limb Shed » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:13 am

No Its an over head valve engine. Looks just like crawler engine except for the access cover. The valve covers are even the same as the crawlers. Model # on combine motor is# HB 145G and serial # 25590, the combine motor doesn't appear to have the sleeve deck like dozer does though.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:01 am

MY understanding is that it WILL fit ....NO it is not a sleeve deck block ..... I have heard of others using the combine engines in 2010/1010S they are very sought after :D :D
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Limb Shed
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Limb Shed » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:00 pm

Well that's what I was hoping to hear! I'm paying on the high side for this motor and have to drive a ways to get it. Don't want to get it home and find out the rear crank output is wrong or there will be no bolt mount for hydraulic pump frame and front of crank wont engage pto assembly to the hyd. pump etc.. Was hoping for Identical engine, but it does look close. My options are slim other that waiting around for a #45 combine with same exact motor.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:05 pm

The sleeve deck engines will fit, as the existence of the sleeve deck engine is due to combines, that's is why they were originally developed. As to any other combine engine, I just don't know.
Options are not slim, there were thousands of 1010's made, in addition to combines, swathers, power units, etc that are the same engine, they are not hard to come by.
Lavoy

Limb Shed
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Limb Shed » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:43 pm

Well, guess Im back to waiting on a proper match then. Guess Ill let this combine motor go to the crusher. Thanks for your input!!

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:09 pm

There was a very good thread Jdemaris wrote in response to my question on this:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... ht=combine

Also another one:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... ht=combine
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:50 pm

The other thing to think of is putting a 2010 engine in a 1010 will be hard on drivetrain, undercarriage, etc. 2010 had a lot beefier drivetrain than 1010.
Lavoy

Limb Shed
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Limb Shed » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:52 pm

Yeah, I searched "#45 combine engine" on this sight before I was excepted this morning into this site club. All the reading I did, didn't spell out if any #45 combine motor would work. The one Im looking at looks very similar, and from the many pictures the owner sent me, looks like it may bolt in. But the block is a different style with a access cover on the side of block that covers the lifters. Combine motor has a mechanical fuel pump on it, where as the dozer motor does not and uses gravity feed.
Combine motor is not a sleeve deck motor. Other that that, block is shaped the same, even the rocker cover looks identical. The intake and exhaust manifolds look the same along with that coolant manifold. There seems to be a lot of yay and nay about going with this motor, so guessing Im going to pass until I find a sleeve deck motor. I was hoping this engine would work so I could get dozer back together before spring work gets me to busy. If anyone has a 1010 gas, sleeve deck engine within reasonable distance from mid Michigan, Im a buyer!!

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:42 am

It's possible the access cover is to simply adjust the valve easier, if I'm understanding correctly where this access cover is.

I have a 1010 gas motor that I may sell, (it's actually my grandpa's so I'd have to check with him). I don't know the condition because it came with another 1010 that was bought. It might be locked up, I never tried to spin it over or anything.
It's out of the crawler, just sitting in a corner in the barn. We acquired it about a year ago, not sure how long it was sitting before then.
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring

Limb Shed
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Limb Shed » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:15 am

Thank you Whiteclipse16, that sounds like the motor I need, although I don't need another seized motor, got one. Go ahead and talk to your dad about it and find out more details. If it looks like something that may run again without a lot of work and $, I would be interested. I do have another line on a running 1010 sleeve deck motor but will not be available for a couple months. Let me know what you find out, condition, cost, etc.. Oh, and yes, the side cover on block of combine motor is exactly that, access to adjust valves/ lifters. I decided not to purchase combine motor.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:13 am

Okay, brain fart, I have a gas engine, came out of a running 1010, but was weak, so probably need rings and such.
Lavoy

Limb Shed
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Limb Shed » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:32 am

North Dakota? Would love to get back out that way again. Does a weak motor command a weak price? haha. Seems like I should be able to find something a little closer to home.

username
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by username » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:11 pm

I just installed a 165 G out of a 45 combine and it does have the sleeve deck.Aside from everything externally including the oil pan being different,it was an exact fit.