The only way to find out whats gonna break is to use it!

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Bret4207
440 crawler
440 crawler

The only way to find out whats gonna break is to use it!

Post by Bret4207 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:51 am

I've been playing with the 420. So far I've drug some wood and moved some frozen hay/bedding piles. Finding out what's "not quite right" is always fun.

1- the left side track "master link" is floating free and will work it's way out. I don't think it's a real track pins at all!

2- a previous owner apparently removed some of the shims on the idler assy so that it doesn't have enough clearance when it moves tot he rear and wedges itself in place leaving the tracks loose.

3- the reverser lever came loose down by the trans case and it looks like a small piece of key stock is hanging there. Still have to get the manual out to see whats up with that.

That's the beauty of buying "functional junk" as my wife call it. Always a new surprise waiting for you...
40C, 420C, 1010C-L-BH, Cat D4

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:19 pm

Hang in there, it'll only get worse... :lol: :lol:

Bret4207
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Bret4207 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:26 am

Well, it was a balmy 60-some degrees here yesterday and the flu everyone in my family has let up enough for me to slog out to the 420 and try and get that key back in where it belonged. Took a while but I worked it back in enough to get the crawler out to dry ground. I think we may just get things back together a little more and forget the reverser. Leave it in forward and call it good. I'm not real sure how you're supposed to get the reverser clamp onto the shaft without it sliding back into the case. Of course, that may mean something is busted or missing on mine....
40C, 420C, 1010C-L-BH, Cat D4

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:07 am

Clean the inside of the lever out so it will slide easily. The key goes through the reverser lever shaft into a reverser lever pivot shaft. The end of that shaft should have a 3/8" NC threaded hole in it. You can sometimes thread a long bolt in there and use it to hold the assembly out while you install the lever.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com