What is in a JD350 fuel tank

Facts and knowledgebase about John Deere crawlers
Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

What is in a JD350 fuel tank

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:43 pm

Hi,

Or, what is *supposed* to be in a JD350 fuel tank! More often than not, this stuff is missing. I got lucky when I bought my 78 JD350C from Mark a couple years ago. This stuff was actually still in place. Actually, everything was still in place and the machine not all beat up. :)

So, the first thing is the vent tube at the bottom of the tank. There are always posts about machines that run at first and then die out. This tube is a vent that passes from the bottom all the way to the filler opening just under the cap. This lets air into the tank to replace the fuel as it is drawn out. Well, when it isn't plugged up, anyway. This is shot looking at the bottom of the tank from the rear of the machine.

All the rest of the shots are from kneeling on the seat looking back at the tank.

Next, we move up top to the cap. Notice the nice rubber gasket. This, so fuel doesn't slop out up by you. Often missing to vent the tank because the vent tube is plugged....

Next, we have several parts. A dipstick, a retaining ring and a filler screen. You can see the vent tube.

This is the dipstick. Passes thru the hole that isn't the vent. The bigger one that is actually part of the filler screen. So, if the filler screen is missing, you won't have the second hole. Let's you check fuel level.

Here is a better look at the upper vent tube. The shiny one, not the black one. It is easier to pass a cleaning wire from the top down to the bottom.

This is the ring that holds the screen in place.

This is the fuel fill screen to catch some junk before it gets in there to begin with. You can see where the dipstick goes alongside the screen.

This is the filler opening missing all the parts. All you see is the upper vent tube.

Hope all that helps!

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: What is in a JD350 fuel tank

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:00 am

Hi,

It has been pointed out to me that, once again, these parts weren't in place in the beginning. They were added as a running change as the years went past. So, an early 350 didn't have the strainer or the sump drain. I know the straight 350 I once had didn't have a strainer. I just figured it had 'got gone'. Well, it is the sort of thing to be yanked out and tossed.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)