mc idetification

Facts and knowledgebase about John Deere crawlers
wickster
MC crawler
MC crawler

mc idetification

Post by wickster » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:32 pm

I have just purchased a 1950 mc crawler tractor and am in the middle of assembling a list a parts to restore it. I'm a little concerned that my machine could possibly have been a 40 with mc sheet metal. Its a three roller with 14 inch shoes hydraulics and belt and pto. Any suggestions on verifying any differences between the two. I do have a serial number tag on the dash.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:14 pm

3 roller 40 has a different dash, different transmission, back cover and shifter. 40 has a fan shroud, and a different fan assembly. A 40 is close to the same speed in 2nd and reverse, an MC is painfully slow in reverse.
Lavoy

wickster
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by wickster » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:39 pm

i know for sure it has a mc dash and i know it has the mc shifter as it is straight not bent. Are the casting numbers different on the tranny housing or the back cover? That might be the easiest. Im just concerned because someone has cut a little material from the bottom of the dash. This was done for clearance or a stuck bolt I'm not sure. I'm also curius regarding the type of muffler that was factory for this machine and also about the gas cap. Was the cap short or tall from the factory. Thanks Chad

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:44 pm

Back cover will have no provision for belt pulley, just the PTO shaft sticking out.
Muffler is just a round muffler, normally in the vertical position, although there was an orchard attachment that moves it down beside the engine.
Gas cap on an MC would be a short cap, just like the radiator cap.
Lavoy

wickster
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by wickster » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:00 pm

Which machine will have no provision for a belt the mc or the 40? Also the muffler is it suppost to be silver or black? And the fuel cap is suppost to be cadium coated correct? Sorry for all the questions I just want to get it right.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:39 pm

THe 40 will not have the provision for the belt pulley. There are lots of arguements for muffler color, most likely guess is that it was painted green at the factory and burned off as it ran.
Gas cap will be plated.
Lavoy