350 CRAWLER HYDRAULIC PUMP

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
TB350
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by TB350 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:36 pm

I HAVE A 1963 (ABOUT) JD350 CRAWLER , LOOKING FOR A HYDRAULIC PUMP. FOUND A NEW ONE AT MY JD DEALER, THEY ARE ASKING $1180.00 FOR IT. A LITTLE STEEP FOR ME. TRYING TO FIND SOMEONE TO REBUILD MY OLD ONE. BUT NEED A PLAN "B".

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Mon May 18, 2015 11:33 pm

Well since plan A should have been "Contact Lavoy" and you are too important to give us any idsa of what part of the country you are in, I don't have any suggestion for plan B unless it is find the SHIFT LOCK key.
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

TB350
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by TB350 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:10 am

Well, sorry about the lack of info. I'm in Northport Alabama. I have the local Caterpillar dealer looking at it, they have a hydraulic shop.
and i'm pretty sure it's a 15GPM pump. But I do have a question.
Would a larger pump (23GPM) fit and work?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue May 19, 2015 8:08 am

I would not put the larger pump on, no gain by doing so, only increased heat generated, unless you have a backhoe, then you should use the larger pump.
These pumps are expensive I know, but alternatives are hard to find. Look for manufacturers number on the pump, most likely Cessna, and you might be able to come up with something at a hyd shop. If you strike out there, e-mail me the number and I will do some digging on my end.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350 CRAWLER HYDRAULIC PUMP

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed May 20, 2015 2:41 pm

TB350 wrote: TRYING TO FIND SOMEONE TO REBUILD MY OLD ONE. BUT NEED A PLAN "B".
According to Jdemaris, this type of Cessna hydraulic pump was not designed to be rebuildable but he had indicated a new one could be bought aftermarket and wasn't pricey (nowhere near that cost). Here is a thread by Jdemaris describing this:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... ght=cessna
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

yellow jacket
MC crawler
MC crawler

sick hydraulic pump

Post by yellow jacket » Wed May 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Hello, I am brand new to this board and stumbled upon it in search of a replacement pump for my sick 350 crawler loader. While using the machine on a small project on the farm late last fall it developed a hydraulic leak up front but before I could get into it I broke my leg which set me back somewhat. I just got into it a week ago and found that the leak was from the shaft seal on the pump. Having a bit of knowledge of hydraulics (just enough to get into trouble...lol) I knew there was more to it than a bad seal. After tearing it down I found one of the two springs was pooched as was an internal seal. (mangled by the broken spring. I have all the manuals for this 1974 vintage machine and have traced the pump down to being an AT31208 Cessna which puts out 23gpm.

I called my local deere equipment dealer and the price here in good old Ontario Canada for a complete seal kit which would include all seals, check balls and springs is $450 Canadian Bucks. I've checked the tolerances and everything is ok but not perfect so a seal kit would work albeit I'd still have a semi worn pump. A new Cessna (now Eaton) is $2,200. Now add 13% tax and it's ouch!

I've checked around on the internet and found a place called "surpluscenter.com" and they have brand new Eaton replacement pumps for $450 plus $80 shipping to my door here in Ontario. That's a huge savings and I'd have a brand new pump for the price of a gasket set here in Ontario.

However, I read in another post that there may be another replacement pump made by Webster/Danfoss which was supposed to be a better pump and for less money. I e-mailed them a couple of days ago and have had no response.

Sooooo, my question to anyone interested is....... should I go ahead and buy the $450 Eaton or does anyone know what other makes are out there that would sub for the Cessna and where they might be available?

I really need to get back at the job I was doing when it failed so I'll have to decide very soon which way to go so any help would be much appreciated. cheers

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu May 21, 2015 8:16 am

Buy the Eaton, you will be fine.
Lavoy

yellow jacket
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by yellow jacket » Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am

That sounds like the way to go to me too. The site has some interesting reading. I know that this is a deere site but I wonder if you might have run into something else that would be of interest to me. A couple of years ago I acquired a JSW BH70 L excavator.....vintage around 1980. I've been looking for shop manuals and other info and haven't been able to come up with anything. The machine generally runs ok for what it is and what I do with it but there will be a day I'll need a manual or some info. Any ideas where I might find something like that?

thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu May 21, 2015 10:12 am

I would check Ebay for manuals, you never know what you will find. I found a collision manual for a 06 for a Jeep last night for $10.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu May 21, 2015 12:05 pm

According to Jdemaris, the seal kit for the Cessna pump will not help for leaks under pressure- that they are a throw away pump when worn. it sounds like you checked tolerances so may be moot but wanted to point that out for others. That should be described in the link I gave, or another related post from Jdemaris that I did not provide but could be found.

One other point for those that search for Jdemaris's posts- he apparently changed his status to guest so you can no longer search for his threads using his username. They are still there though, just harder to find.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Bernard Cloutier
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: sick hydraulic pump

Post by Bernard Cloutier » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:36 pm

yellow jacket wrote:Hello, I am brand new to this board and stumbled upon it in search of a replacement pump for my sick 350 crawler loader. While using the machine on a small project on the farm late last fall it developed a hydraulic leak up front but before I could get into it I broke my leg which set me back somewhat. I just got into it a week ago and found that the leak was from the shaft seal on the pump. Having a bit of knowledge of hydraulics (just enough to get into trouble...lol) I knew there was more to it than a bady seal. After tearing it down I found one of the two springs was pooched as was an internal seal. (mangled by the broken spring. I have all the manuals for this 1974 vintage machine and have traced the pump down to being an AT31208 Cessna which puts out 23gpm.

I called my local deere equipment dealer and the price here in good old Ontario Canada for a complete seal kit which would include all seals, check balls and springs is $450 Canadian Bucks. I've checked the tolerances and everything is ok but not perfect so a seal kit would work albeit I'd still have a semi worn pump. A new Cessna (now Eaton) is $2,200. Now add 13% tax and it's ouch!

I've checked around on the internet and found a place called "surpluscenter.com" and they have brand new Eaton replacement pumps for $450 plus $80 shipping to my door here in Ontario. That's a huge savings and I'd have a brand new pump for the price of a gasket set here in Ontario.

However, I read in another post that there may be another replacement pump made by Webster/Danfoss which was supposed to be a better pump and for less money. I e-mailed them a couple of days ago and have had no response.

Sooooo, my question to anyone interested is....... should I go ahead and buy the $450 Eaton or does anyone know what other makes are out there that would sub for the Cessna and where they might be available?

I really need to get back at the job I was doing when it failed so I'll have to decide very soon which way to go so any help would be much appreciated. cheers

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by pop pop » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:22 am

Surplus center is like a gold mine. :wink: