12 volt starter conversion for 2 cylinder crawlers

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

12 volt starter conversion for 2 cylinder crawlers

Post by Lavoy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:30 pm

Working on my first starter converting to 12 volts from 6 volts. Going to build one and test it in my 440 to make sure I like the results. If I'm happy with the way it turns out, I will order enough parts to do several more. A couple of you have asked me about it, and finally getting to the point of testing, just was waiting for parts to come in.
Price for the time being is $325 outright, no core charge as long as I can continue to source parts. Since I first started this project, I ended finding some more of the smaller parts inside that I can replace now too, which added to the cost, and had to switch suppliers on one piece, hence the $25 increase in price.
Rebuild will consist of NEW armature, brushes, bushing, springs, fields, starter switch stud and insulating washers, starter switch, cover band, and any necessary internal wires if need be. The goal is to reuse as few old parts as possible other than nose cone, main body shell, and commutator end. But if I run short of commutator end frames, I now have access to them new as well.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 12 volt starter conversion for 2 cylinder crawlers

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:23 am

Hi,

This is great! Now those folks who want to go 12v can do it right. Some local shops can do this, but in my experience, not many. Not too many shops around here can manage to do 6v, much less convert. Used to be easy, but one-by-one they have retired.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)