a broken input shaft, I think

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
Shawn Weston
MC crawler
MC crawler

a broken input shaft, I think

Post by Shawn Weston » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:38 pm

I have a John Deere 440 ICD. I think I have broke the input shaft that goes into the trany. If you let out on the clutch with it in gear, you can see the drive shaft turn that goes into the trany but nothing happens. So I took the stick shift leaver plate off to see into the trany and nothing turns. How big of a job do I have fixing it? Any guesses? How hard is it to find parts? If you have done this or any sugestions, it would be of great help. Thanks
I am looking for a John Deere 440ICD manual. My loader need some work and i need a manual to fix it. If you can help, please E-mail me. Thanks alot!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:33 pm

If you truly broke the input shaft, there is only one way to fix it. Start at the grille, and disassemble til you see the front of the transmission. Then start at each final drive and disassemble till you see the sides of the transmission. At this point, you can begin to repair the transmission itself.
It may be possible to put an input shaft without having the finals off, but I seriously question it. You can also pull the trans and finals out the back end, but it is almost as much work on a 440.
Lavoy