440ICD For Sale

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

440ICD For Sale

Post by wwattson » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:07 pm

Came across this crawler when I was looking for a project last year but I haven't been able to work the logistics of getting it hauled up to WI. It is a 440ICD with what I believe is an 831 loader in reasonable shape. It's owned by a gentleman named Alan Fuerst and is located in O'Fallon, MO.

I went down and looked at it late last summer and all in all it seems to be complete and in fairly good condition. I didn't know then what I know now so I can't say that I remember everything I'd probably need to tell you about the undercarriage wear, etc. Here's what I remember of the issues I noted.

One of the two sprockets was worn to the point of needing replacement. The undercarriage overall seemed pretty good otherwise

I found no cracks in any of the casings anywhere

Engine had been overhaul in the recent past

One of the two main gears in the reverser had been removed after it failed and the reverser was non-functional

It had an odd hydraulic tank mounted vertically on the right side front of the engine. As such, there was a notch cut in the top of the front casing to make clearance for the cap (not too hard to restore).

It needed to have the control valves resealed

It presently is not running due to the starter sticking in the start position (probably a solenoid problem from my experience)

All the loader pins needed to be reworked

The bottom plate was missing but is apparently there in the barn somewheres

Alan is asking $2750 for the whole deal. If it's still on the market end of the summer, I'm going down to get it for myself but in fairness to Alan, I told him I'd post it on the board and if sommeone else closer or better equipped to retrieve it wants it, good deal.

Alan can be reached at 636-541-1420 or by email at alanstractors@aol.com. A link to some photos of the crawler is:

http://alanstractors.tripod.com/tractor8.htm

Alan seems like a great guy but is trying to reduce the number of tractors he has in the barns. He injured himself a few years back rolling one of his tractors while trying to load it on a trailer. I'll let him tell you the story if you end up talking to him but he's one of the reasons I take the whole safety thing so seriously when I'm around these machines.
Bill Wattson