Implements for JD 420 Crawler

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
newfarmer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Implements for JD 420 Crawler

Post by newfarmer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:13 pm

I'm purchasing a 420 crawler and wanted to find implements to fit. New or used. Please send me an email. I'm not sure how the implements attach. Maybe, someone can provide advice on this matter. Thank you

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:23 pm

What type of implements is it you are looking for?
Lavoy

newfarmer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by newfarmer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:58 pm

I was looking to purchase some or all of these implements: backhoe, rotary tiller, box blade, share plough, bush hog, disc harrow, ripper, disc plough, rake, winch. The crawler comes with a dozer. I'm not really sure what implements could fit on the 420 crawler. Thanks

newfarmer
MC crawler
MC crawler

420 Crawler

Post by newfarmer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:34 pm

Regarding the implements for the 420 Crawler. Non-John Deere implements are acceptable. Thank you

newfarmer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by newfarmer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:38 pm

Can anyone tell me the approximate weight of a 420 crawler with blade.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:42 am

Hi,

Weight runs 5000-6000 pounds depending on how the machine is optioned out. The main items would be the number of rollers (4 or 5) and which dozer is mounted (61 vs 62), then the various guards (all of which add weight).

Normally a 420c can't use most of the implements you mention as the 3-pt hitch was an option, and a fairly rare one at that. Most machines I've seen with dozers or loaders mounted didn't have the 3-pt on the back, just a drawbar.

If you do have the 3-pt, then most would work but you'll have to be careful using them. The crawler 3-pt offers downpressure, and most implements you'll find are designed for tractors that have no downpressure beyond that of gravity. In other words, you can rip the implements right off the machine if you're not careful!

As far as finding them, used ones abound. Just check classifieds in the local paper and even eBay works well if you limit the search area to 100 miles or so from your ZIP code.

New ones come from dealers. I think Central Tractor has stores out your way. There's also Tractor Supply Co, and several others that specialize in the common farm and ranch supplies. Our local one is called Agri-Supply and they ship stuff if you just can't find something close by to simply go and get the stuff. ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

newfarmer
MC crawler
MC crawler

420 Crawler

Post by newfarmer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:29 pm

Thank you for the information. I checked around and found a Tractor Supply Store located about 45 minutes away in CT. I'll check out what they have that could fit a crawler. A John Deere dealer is close too. I'll stop over there as well. I was curious, when you say draw bar hitch do you mean a ball hitch like the kind on my avitar? That's what I have on the 420 crawler.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:08 am

Out of curiousity, what size 3-point hitch is on the back of a crawler? I have to imagine it is at least a Category 2 if not Category 3 hitch. I would think that Category 1 implements would be too "flimsy" for a crawler anyhow.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:38 am

They are category 2, but will go narrow enough for catergory 1 implements just like a wheel tractor.
Lavoy

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi,

Ball hitch on the Avitar? I think you're mistaking the rear work light for a ball hitch in that tiny photo..... :P

No, the drawbar has a pin to attach pulled implements. That's the older way to go. The drawbar is mostly used with pulling chains on crawlers.

The more modern way to attach implements is by three-point hitch. That's where you have two lower pulling arms attached to the final drive area of the crawler, and then there's a third top-link centered just under the seat.

Most tractors you'll see have a 3-pt hitch. However most crawlers do not have one of these. They were optional, but very rarely added to a machine when new.

Most implements out there these days are meant to hook up to a 3-pt hitch. Most are Category-I to boot. The 3-pt hitch on these crawlers were Category-II, but one can use a Cat-I implement on a Cat-II hitch by using bushings over the Cat-I pins to make them fit into the Cat-II balls.

One does have to be careful using a Cat-I implement on a Cat-II hitch as it's all too easy to twist the implements into pretzels since Cat-II equipped machines have more pulling power than the design of the Cat-I implement can handle. Trust me on this one! ;)

I'll bet real money, though, that your machine does *not* have a 3-pt hitch. If I'm correct, then you are pretty much out of luck when it comes to attaching implements to the machine. If all you have is a drawbar, then you might find an old pull-type field plow or harrow by searching out older farms in your area for rusty things sitting in the weeds, but that's about it. Central Tractor will be of no use at all in this case.

My 420c does not have a 3-pt hitch, and it has extra add-on like the 5-roller tracks, heavy dozer blade and direction reverser. Those cost a lot extra when new, yet the farmer that ordered the thing didn't go the extra to add on the 3-pt. He probably figure he didn't need it given that he had tractors with them on already.

I don't miss having a 3-pt much. I use my 420c as a dozer mostly, sometimes using a chain on the drawbar to yank on something. The rest of the time, I use a wheel tractor with loader which has a 3-pt hitch to then attach other things like mowers, rakes, wood chipper and so on.

That's the key as far as I'm concerned, too. One needs both a crawler and a tractor, as they do things differently and tend to complement each other nicely. :)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:31 pm

I could see having hydraulic downforce on a crawler 3-point hitch handy in some circumstances- for instance using a heavy duty post hole digger it would sure be nice to have the downforce. However at that point I would probably just use a hydraulically-operated auger specifically designed for downforce like those used on skidsteers.

You can find quite a few older implements that have the drawbar attachment if you go to farm auctions. At least I see them alot here in the Midwest.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:35 pm

BTW, there is a JD crawler on EBay (450C) that has the 3-point hitch. They had some good closeup pictures of it- price at the time was around $4K which I am sure the 3-point is worth half of that, excluding the rest of the crawler.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JOHN-DEERE-450C-DIE ... dZViewItem

newfarmer
MC crawler
MC crawler

420 Crawler 3 pt hitch

Post by newfarmer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:50 pm

Thank you for all the information. I checked out the Tractor Supply Company and Land Price for implements. The TSC had a few implements that could be used on a ball hitch that were made for ATVs. I don't know how the hitch would work on a crawler? Any thoughts?

Land Pride suggested I find a 3 pt hitch conversion kit so I've started to look around on the web for a kit that can convert a ball hitch to a three point hitch. This will open the door for using alot of other implements. Any thoughts about this idea? I saw the crawler on EBAY with the three pt hitch. That's what I need for my crawler!