rebuilt starter

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
tomcat4144
430 crawler
430 crawler

rebuilt starter

Post by tomcat4144 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:43 am

Hello, i would like to know the cost for a rebuilt starter with shipping and handling and do you need a core exchange? address is tim tomczak 9820 Gamma Rd. Kabetogama Mn. 56669 thank you, Tim

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:47 am

Tim,
Normally you can get yours rebuilt at a local shop cheaper than they can be sent back and forth. A rebuilt starter will be in the $150 range. Be a little careful on rebuilts, some places just put in new brushes and bushings, and do not cut the armature, check and/or replace fields or fix the drives.
If you strike out locally, let me know, I can send you one.
Lavoy

tomcat4144
430 crawler
430 crawler

rebuilt starter

Post by tomcat4144 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:47 am

we dont have much for local rebuilds, IF, he could get to it, could be quite a wait. next nearest town, virginia, is 80 miles away. the price for time and gas would probably be a wash i`m thinking compared to shipping charges. this starter will need a complete and total rebuild. it was getting pretty worn out and i went to 12 volt, helped for a couple years, but with my starting problems, (see message board) the back plate of the starter broke, shorted and burned it up before i could get battery disconnected. its a real mess! thanks, tim

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:58 pm

Tim,
If your back plate is broken, then there might not be any core value to yours. I had heard years ago that the back plate was over $200. One more reason I am not a fan of 12 volts.
Lavoy

tomcat4144
430 crawler
430 crawler

starter

Post by tomcat4144 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:42 pm

Lavoy,

i just have a hard time believing anyone would pay $200 for a back plate on a starter. i welded mine up, its just cast iron. too many other old starters laying about and could find something that would work.found a couple old starters laying around, one out of 50`s something jeep and another out of 55 2 ton truck, both would bolt up, but unfortunately they turn in the wrong direction. any idea`s on a cross reference fit? gotta be something out there besides just tractors. i have converted many different 6 volts to 12 volts including one of my other hobbies, old car restoration. never, ever had one break out a back plate before. in fact i`ve never even had to replace a starter once changed to 12 volt. i do understand the 6 volt does work proper with extra heavy and CLEAN cables. i just don`t care for how slow they turn over and the limited battery choices. i want something with some STAYING power. but to each their own. i checked with wengers in PA. they have rebuilts for $150 and don`t believe they are asking for asking for a core. can you beat them? thanks, tim

tomcat4144
430 crawler
430 crawler

starter cross reference?

Post by tomcat4144 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:17 pm

Lavoy,

just got my own curiosity up a bit now. just checked ford tractor parts, they sell NEW starters, minus the starter drive for $130 of course i dont know which way they turn, but will find out soon as i have a ford jubilee also. i love the 420 john deere, but john deere parts are expensive and i`ll always check for best prices. john deere seems to hold everybody over a barrel. have not checked with a dealer on prices because of that. dang, now my curiosity is gonna cause me some more research! i would guess by now youve figured out i dont do anything the NORMAL way, Ha.
i will let you know if i find out anything, but still interested in your price on a starter, guess i will check with the local overworked rebuilder to see what he can do also, but don`t have high hopes!

thanks again, tim