Need a JD440IC trackframe

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
bitcoder
420 crawler
420 crawler

Need a JD440IC trackframe

Post by bitcoder » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:53 pm

I need the left track frame for a JD440IC or advice to fix the one I have, the problem area is the rails for the front idler area, both rails are bent with bad welding.

If you have one to sell, please reply here or to bitcoder@aol.com, thank you.

(trying to post a pic, if you don't see it, try putting this URL in your browser)
http://s312.photobucket.com/albums/ll32 ... kFrame.jpg

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:48 pm

Unless you are very, very lucky you will not find rails that are in excellent condition. Even if you do you will have to remove and install the rails and relocate all the rollers etc. A lot of work. I personally would recommend cutting out a rectangular section of the top rail edge and welding in a piece of replacement steel.

You mention that the front of the rails was bent in some way so you will also need to address that. But all this should be able to be done by a good welder while the crawler is still assembled. Then you will have brand new wearing surfaces.

FYI the distance between the outside edges of the rails should be about 10 1/4" as far as I can tell. Your idler arms should be flat where they run on the rails - no indentation; and the idler guide may need to be welded and machined if it has worn too much.

Good luck
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

bitcoder
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by bitcoder » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:20 pm

thanks for the advice Gil, am finding you are right about used rails in good shape, have had one dealer price of $450 for rails that are just about as bad shape as mine including old corroded and cracked welding.

you don't mention it but i assume replacment of the wear surface requires special steel, i'll see if the fab shop has a recommendation.

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:50 am

The original rails were not special steel but I don't know what I would recommend for a replacement. I love John Deere designs. On both their ag and commercial tractors they usually do a great job. This rail design is certainly not their finest hour.

I do not know why the rail extensions are not replaceable. If you could design it that way they you would use less hardened sacrifice steel in the rails and protect the more expensive front idler brackets.

However, the idle brackets and guides are not that hard to resurface since they are removable. You might want to view them as you sacrifice area.

These older crawlers are usually not as heavily used as they were when they were first sold. They have lasted nearly fifty years with the current rails (although most have seen repairs). No matter what you do, it will probably last for quite awhile.
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:56 am

Turn the trackframes upside down, and build them up with mild steel, it will last a long time. Just grind the weld smooth so the front idler slides alright.
As to bent, they don't straighten that bad, might need to apply some heat, you will need to apply a BFH.
Lavoy

bitcoder
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by bitcoder » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:36 pm

thanks guys, i assume BFH = Big Forge Hammer ;)

we've been thinking of putting the track frame in a press, problem is pressing the bottom or opposite frame rail will require some sort of U shaped jig, so we'll probably try the old "heat and beat" treatment Lavoy recommends.