More info and pictures of CASLER 1947 Crawler for Sale

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
John Casler
40C crawler
40C crawler

More info and pictures of CASLER 1947 Crawler for Sale

Post by John Casler » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:49 pm

Hi all and thanks so much for the large response to our Father's Crawler.

Going to try and post a bit more "HISTORY" as I remember it which could affect how you view her.

The good news is she was not a "daily use" implement.

I'll post a few photos along with the info

Here is the first photo, but it gives a good front view of the blade.

Here is a better picture showing the condition

and another

To All interested in our Lindeman Crawler,

I think from a purchasing or even interest standpoint it is best to offer as much information about "Our Girl" as we can remember. or assemble.

Some have asked how the Crawler was used, which is a good question and what prompted me to start putting together some memories. These might give you a bit of an idea of the use, wear and tear, and stresses put on her.

We have not come across the original papers (receipts/manuals, etc) but do have an original parts book my father kept, and wrote the serial # on, which will be included with the Crawler.

We may even be able to scan a picture or two of our father using it to "drag logs" he cut down to use for lumber to build our house at the time.

The picture if we locate it, shows myself and my sister, sitting on one of the logs chained to the Dozer. We must have been around 3 or 4 years old and both of us are now approaching 60. These photos are being sent to me and I will scan and add them.

The records indicate a Serial Number of 336460.

This page indicates that our Crawler was shipped to Lindeman in Yakima WA, from John Deere in Moline, IL around 8/16/1946.
http://www.lindemanarchives.com./Serial%20%234.html

It is our understanding that Our Grandfather Emmett O. Casler, his Brother Benjamin "Giles" Casler, and our Father John W. Casler partnered up to purchase the Crawler and used it intitally to dig basements, and then grade some home sites on Detroit Avenue (and other places) in Mansfeild, OH.

My father purchased a small (around 105 acres) farm and then bought out the other partners for full ownership.

He then used the Crawler (which by the way has a blade) for similar tasks.

He had two other John Deere Tractors for most all the regular farm work, like plowing, discing, mowing, bailing, planting, combining etc. We have a few other John Deere parts and such, as well as a full tractor that is also for sale and I will get more info on those items soon.

The Dozer was used to pull a few logs, grade various things, dig the basements of a our house he built, as well as some demo, grading. and leveling of the "old house" that came with the property. He created a couple driveways, pulled a few stumps out of the ground, and just general "HEAVY SLOW" tasks or dirt moving jobs.

All in all, he actually didn't put that many miles on it and loved it as a TOY/TOOL for the big boys to play in the dirt. I also remember him pushing Large Rocks in the fields off to the edge, or in a big pile, so he could plow and disc those fields.

So it served a purpose, but was not ever in daily use. There would be years where he didn't use it at all, and some where he might need it 2 or 3 times. So I would think you might say after the first several years it was in VERY limited use and mostly stored in the barn.

That is another point, she was always "stored" inside, and was never left "exposed" to the elements.

So you might say, he used her rather sparingly, and she sat "stored" for many years with occasional startings.

My personal memories are that our father would occsionally let out a string of cuss words, likely due to some skinned knuckles when pulling on the heavy start wheel. And once she "sputtered" and came to life, he would close the compression valves and let her "warm up". But he always had a big smile or grin on his face as he sat in the chair and took her to her task, with that popping, coughing, unmistakable John Deere two cyllinder sound,

We are trying to get pictures (it needs to be washed off from all the dust and grime)

We have several local inquiries and of course wish to receive fair market value for her. We are still looking around for Fair Market Value information.

She will now start, but does not keep running, which is likely due to the carburetor floats sticking or gunk in the fuelline needing work, but it displays that the engine, pistons and electrics are in complete working order To completely restore, you may need only disassemble, oil, clean, and paint for the most part.

I think this is an excellent copy and with likely exceptionally LOW USE for its age.

We are in the process of settling our Father's Estate, and the Crawler is stored in the large garage, where many items need to be moved to get her out, and cleaned up for pictures. We should have those soon.

So to recap:

1947 Lindeman Crawler BO Model
Serial Number 336460
Has Mounted Blade
Starts
Located in Mansfeild, Ohio
Purchased by three Relatives in 1947, but been the property of John W, Calser since at least 1949 or 1950.
Was NOT in Daily use, and actually used only on occasion after the first 5 or 10 years.

We feel that this may be one of the best "lower use" examples for a serious collector, and have already been offered some highly reasonable amounts "sight unseen", but these pictures might offer one a better yardstick of value.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:13 am

If you have been offered as you say an amount that is in your opinion, "highly reasonable", why would you not have taken one of them?
Value is highly subjective, and what a seller wants may not be what the market price is. On the other hand, what a buyer offers may not be market price either. I could give you a range of prices on Lindemans that would knock your socks off. Some so high as to be unbelieveable if I had not been standing there, and some so reasonable that it was a steal. I guess in a nutshell, if you are happy with what you have been offered, take it. Otherwise, it seems to me you have two other options, take it to an auction, or post the highest offered price you have received and see if any one here is interested.
Lavoy

John Casler
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by John Casler » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:02 pm

Lavoy wrote:If you have been offered as you say an amount that is in your opinion, "highly reasonable", why would you not have taken one of them?
Hi Lavoy,

I should clarify, there was only "one" offer and there have been several inquires waiting for pictures which we finally were able to take only yesterday. Sorry if you thought there was more than one.

I think it would be unfair and unwise to move based on a single e-mail offer.

We just started this journey but a few days ago, and are just starting to get a feel for the fair market value on the crawler. I'm not sure it a wise or considerate move to accept an offer (even if to a novice it seemed pretty good) before completing the process.

While we would like to place her without too long of a time period, I'm not sure it is a good idea to "rush".

So it is only fair to us and those who have expressed interest to (after looking at the pics) allow them an equal opportunity. I hope that makes sense.

I intend to contact all who responded today with the now available pics. Some posted me via e-mail, some via PM. If you don't hear from me today, resend your inquiry.

Also I am uploading a couple additional shots that were sent to me in a second group of jpegs.

John Casler
40C crawler
40C crawler

More Pics

Post by John Casler » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:35 pm

I thought I posted this, but must have pushed the wrong key.

Below are a couple additional photos of the Crawler:

Right side shot:

Cockpit and Controls:

ID plate:

I have sent messages to all who posted me with interest, if you did not hear from me, please PM or e-mail

John Casler
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by John Casler » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:55 pm

Here are a couple pics from the early days of this Crawler.

The picture of my sister and I on the log is likely about 55 or 56 years ago, maybe 1952 or so.

After cutting and pulling the logs out, he loaded them on a truck and took them to the Saw Mill, and used them to build our house.

Here is the old truck with those logs on the way to the Mill.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:52 pm

Neat pics!
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

John Casler
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by John Casler » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Additional note:

Rebuilt the carburator and now have it "RUNNING" rather than just starting.

May even shoot some video of driving it around in the next week.

John Casler
40C crawler
40C crawler

SOLD

Post by John Casler » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:42 am

Thanks to all who responded.

We sold her yesterday for $8850 (including a JD Logsplitter) to a very nice local gentleman and keen collector.