found an odd looking 440

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
Hilltop
40C crawler
40C crawler

found an odd looking 440

Post by Hilltop » Sun May 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi everyone,
I don't have pictures yet and I have found a little information but now need to clarify what I am looking at.
Found what I thought was a 440 diesel. Currently have a gas model we have just finished restoring with a blade. This other one is with a bucket so thought what the heck and figured it might be a good addition as we still have lots of parts to play with from two other parts dozers.
Anyway I was just wondering if a 1010 transmission would go on a 440 with some modifications to the console(hole cut up through the top for shifting lever and bottom cut out). This is what it appears to be. shifting lever runs up behind console and out through the top. What would be the pros and cons of this modification. This loader is not currently running and do not have a lot of info on it or even if it is for sale but it has my curiosity peaked. Hydraulic tank for the loader appears to be in front of the radiator. Rollers seem to be not too bad on one side but other side is rough. Serial number is on the console which is weird because our other dozer has it on the left side but is this maybe because it is a diesel or a loader model? The serial number is 455068. it does have the dozer pads on it though and they are hardly worn so figure they must be replacements as I figured would have had flatter pads for the loader.
Thanks for any info. Will try to post pictures when I get some.
Dave

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Mon May 10, 2010 3:46 pm

Dave,
The sereal number being on the counsole is the correct location for the diesels. Your serial number is in the mid 1960 range and what you are calling the shifting lever I believe is actually the throttle which on the 1960 models was in the center of the dash and moves straight forward and backward.
Does it have a lever on the left side of the console? (reverser) and does it have a shifter on top of the transmission in front of ther sterring clutch levers? (5 forward,1 reverse)

Hope this helps,

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

Hilltop
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Hilltop » Mon May 10, 2010 8:26 pm

Hey Chuck,

It does have a reverser but there is no shifting lever on top of the transmission. I found a pic in the 1010 parts manual of the top of the transmission and there is also a pic on here where someone was referring to it as an early model 1010 style of shifter that goes up through the dash. Maybe someone knows of the post I am talking about where they had had the wrong one because the bolt pattern on top was different. This is why I was wondering as to whether someone had replaced this transmission with a 1010 one. The console looks to have been modified (poorly I might add). Where the shifter goes it is flat and goes under the console.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 10, 2010 9:41 pm

I do not believe it would be possible to put a 1010 transmission into a 440 either at all, or at least without even more extensive modification than you are seeing on yours. There are just too many issues to overcome, for clutch housings, bolt sizes, and a host of other things I can think of.
Lavoy