WTB crawler near Durham? (+ Backhoe)

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
Mac
40C crawler
40C crawler

WTB crawler near Durham? (+ Backhoe)

Post by Mac » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Edit: I would still like to purchase a crawler, closer to Durham \ North Carolina the better- but one with a backhoe attachment would be ideal.

If you're interested in trading too, I have a beautiful 1969 triumph tr6c (the bike, not the car)

Thanks
Last edited by Mac on Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus

Jack-the-Ripper
430 crawler
430 crawler

caveat emptor

Post by Jack-the-Ripper » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:24 am

Marcus,
In case you, or others haven't thought of this, one can get blindly giddy at the thrill of finally getting a crawler. I can't mention all the pitfalls but I have learned that the tracks, rollers, sprockets and idlers wear out. The sprocket teeth should be flat at the tips, not pointed. Rollers' and idlers' wear surfaces should be flat (parallel to their axles), and their shoulders relatively perpendicular or the tracks tend to come off in tight turns on uneven ground. Track bushings tend to wear flats on them. If you can feel the track pin through the worn bushing, its gone too far. The same if the rollers have worn through the rock guards. Believe it or not, I naively bought such a machine for way too much money. It ran for about an hour and then the clutch mechanism stuck and I learned how to tow it around. I called a JD mechanic who told me that the 450B's have that steering clutch problem because they are dry and moisture rusts them up, and I should have called him before I bought, and gotten a 450C that has oil immersed clutches. These 450s (B&C) ca. 1970's, currently sell for about $13,000 max. Tracks and sprockets will run close to $2500. Rollers and Idlers another $2000. Track adjusters, if necessary, another $1000. Rebuliding the very sloppy T-handle blade control mechanism, though not necessary, should help the precision when controlling the blade. The winch still needs rebuilding. I've got the better part of 5 weeks bringing this machine back to working condition so far.

Fortunately I had also bought a 450C ($13,000) that I have gotten 5 years of good work out of before having to replace the track rails. Just beginner's luck.

People here seem to get lots of work and pleasure out of lots of different and earlier models. I've been really happy with the 450 size, parts seem readily available, and I would definitely recommend nothing but the full hydraulic 6-way blade.

Don't hurry - there's lots of iron out there. Don't be mislead by fresh paint or good salesmen. Ask advice, pay properly, enjoy.
Ralph
JD450C (Jack the Ripper), JD450B (Jill the Wench), KomatsuPC120 (Ursa, The Big Dipper), Case580E (Ida Hoe), International 4400 Dump Truck

Mac
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mac » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:16 am

Thank you. I haven't been sure what to really look for. I'm not a collector and know very little about them besides I need to dig a large level pit and that I have always wanted something with tracks...
Marcus

Jack-the-Ripper
430 crawler
430 crawler

digging

Post by Jack-the-Ripper » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:00 am

Marcus,
If you've watched crawlers all your life, and can feel, "in your bones", how it would be to drive and use one, I think you will really enjoy it - at least that was my experience and I still enjoy it just as much, nine years later.

Digging a hole with a dozer isn't the most efficient, as pushing uphill is always less desirable, yet if you take small bites, you'll get lots of experience, and if its large enough, the dozer will be great for leveling it (at least 50 feet square, I'd say). And you'll end up with an "escape" ramp as well. Vertical walls and square corners will be hard (as for a basement) but it will be great for something like a pond).

An excavator (track hoe) will be a better digger, and also really fun to operate, but a little longer to learn to operate efficiently, but there is no fun in driving one. You also may have to remove/relocate the dirt from the hole if you cannot spread it around the dig site. The dozer is really inefficient at moving dirt any distance (say more than 100 feet or so).

An excavator/dump truck is a powerful dig/relocate combination if efficiency is a factor at all. The ideal, of course, is to own one of everything, which is how I have chosen to go.

Another thought is to rent the equipment you'll need for the hole. If you can devote full time to the dig, that might be efficient dollarwise and you won't spend time fixing some old machine (unless you also like tinkering.

Otherwise, there's nothing like having your own machine and using it at your leisure. I've never regretted owning my toys, just paying too much for some junk.
Ralph
JD450C (Jack the Ripper), JD450B (Jill the Wench), KomatsuPC120 (Ursa, The Big Dipper), Case580E (Ida Hoe), International 4400 Dump Truck

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:04 am

Hi,

Ok. I'll stick my foot in it now and offer a chance to come over and see what it's all about.

You're in Durham and I'm in Kipling (just North of Lillington) and have a 420c Dozer that will do for a 3-dimensional drawing of a crawler dozer.

You can even get on and take a little drive. :)

PM if interested.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Mac
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mac » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:24 am

Stan, Thank you very much! I would really appreciate that and will send you a PM when I can figure out when I would be more available to head over!
Marcus

Mac
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mac » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:00 am

Edit- possible backhoe attachment would be perfect for me. If anyone has one please let me know
Marcus

SHINTON
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by SHINTON » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:37 pm

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97473

That might be of some interest (LOADER instead of dozer but close / fixer upper)

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi,

Just FYI, if you want to go looking around Craigslist.....

There was a guy just outside of Roxboro that had that 67 JD350 crawler/loader/backhoe that I went with my neighbor to see a couple months ago.

It was decent enough but needed a new bucket bottom put onto the Drott 4:1 bucket.

He had it on Craigslist, where my neighbor first saw it listed, but I cannot locate the listing now. Perhaps he sold it, or I'm just looking in the wrong place, seeing as how I'm not a user of Craigslist.....

Later!

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

JD-thomas
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by JD-thomas » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:07 pm

John Deere 450A Loader
John Deere 317 Skid steer

Mac
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mac » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:41 pm

I like the one on nc4x4 ... Anyone have an opinion on that? Is it worth it? What would the repairs cost?

How easy would it be to dig into the ground, as if to make a pond, with a bucket like that?
Marcus

Jack-the-Ripper
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Jack-the-Ripper » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:24 am

The loader with rippers that you like should certainly take you a long way toward digging your pond. I like the rippers in case you hit some hard soil or rock. You can push and also relocate dirt with the bucket. as well as dig. It will be harder to sculpt with the bucket than with a 6-way dozer blade but I think you will find the ways to work around that limitation.

My only caution is if you try to load it on a beaver tail trailer. You are very vulnerable, when crossing the tipping point on the trailer, to toppling off the side if both your tracks don't pull evenly. Consider pulling it on with a come-a-long or winch. Perhaps hiring a tow company with a tilt back truck and winch to transport it might be best and usually not that expensive.