Wanted JD 420c 4speed transmission

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
mc_mike
430 crawler
430 crawler

Wanted JD 420c 4speed transmission

Post by mc_mike » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Does anyone have a jd420c transmission they would like to sell? I am looking for a 4 speed as the ring and pinion is shot in mine. Please let me know what you have and how much. The closer to Northern Ohio the better. I am also looking for part number m2375t which is the cover that goes in the back of the final drive on a 420. If anyone can help let me know. I have found a transmission in the upper pen. of Mich. which I may go get, but I thought I would see if anyone else had any leads closer.

Thanks,
Mike

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:09 pm

Mike,
I have the axle cover on hand.
What serial number crawler are you working on? There are 3 different 4 speed transmissions. I have an early 4 speed that came out of a non-dozer 420 on hand.
Lavoy

mc_mike
430 crawler
430 crawler

more info 420c

Post by mc_mike » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:49 pm

The serial number of the crawler I am working on is 119424.

The casting number on the side of the transmission is m4002t. Now I need a little education here. The 4 speed transmission I found has a casting number of m2980t, I think, hard to make out in the pictures. What year is this out of? My books don't reference this number. The shifter on top is different so I am assuming it is earlier, it looks similiar MC, as mine has the shifter guide and this doesn't. Would this transmission work for me? The guy I am dealing with also has a 5 speed transmission for a crawler, would it bolt in with no issues in my 4 speed machine? Is there any other parts I would need if I would buy the 5 speed? Which is better 4 or 5 speed?

Okay my last question for today,
Do the ring and pinions from all 420 4 & 5 speeds interchange?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:57 pm

The transmission you found is for a 40 or early 420, not the one you need.
5 speed will bolt in if it is from the same serial number range crawler.
If all that is bad is your ring and pinion, why don't you just replace it instead of the whole transmission?
lavoy

mc_mike
430 crawler
430 crawler

420 crawler

Post by mc_mike » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:41 am

I was thinking it would be cheaper to try to find a used transmission that was in good shape versus a ring and pinion. I can buy a used tranny for $400. I havent priced just a ring and pinion anywhere but if I have to disassemble the whole transmission and install new bearings, set up the rearend, and my time that is involved I did not think it would be worth it. I thought I would just buy a used one. Do you have a ring and pinion? What do you want for it?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:51 am

Ring and pinion is not going to be much cheaper than the price you were quoted for a whole trans.
Keep in mind that the used trans you are getting may not be any different than your used trans was a few hours before it went bad. There is no easy way to do a trans, so why run the risk of doing it again. Whether you buy a used tranny, or put a ring and pinion in yours, either way the trans should be rebuilt.
Lavoy

mc_mike
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by mc_mike » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:19 pm

Your probably right about the used transmission and needing rebuilt. I don't know what I am going to do yet, but thanks for the info.