Crack in Tranny housing JD 40c

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
ratskinner
40C crawler
40C crawler

Crack in Tranny housing JD 40c

Post by ratskinner » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:03 pm

I just bought JD40c and after i pressure wash all the mud ,oil and bird do.I found that the tranny housing under the gear shifter was been cracked down the side and welded .On the opposite side of the housing has a crack in it .
My question is is there something out of alinement's that would be causing the problem .
Also I notice that the 4 bolts that hold the motor to the tranny where all lose .

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:57 am

No, most likely a function of loose bolts like the ones you found, and possibly more. Clutch housing bolts are probalby loose too.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

ratskinner
40C crawler
40C crawler

found new problem

Post by ratskinner » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:29 pm

I think I found my problem .The support arm that comes up too the motor (
i call it bell housing) was missing the bolt on the right side .And that was letting the whole motor to move around.
But my problem now is I put a ¾ bolt in too it and it will not tighten up just as you think it is getting tighten it loosens back up .Like it might be stripped or could it be I need to put a fine tread bolt in it ?
Lets say it is stripped how do I fix that with out taking the bell housing off.?
Could someone tell me how to adjust the slip clutch ?
Also The pices of skin(part of the hood) that goes around the radiator is missing where can I find something like that at.
What about the generator it is 6volt and don't work can I fix it my self or should I just change over to 12v?
I am sorry for all the question but I would like to get this old girl up and running good again and this is the fist crawler I have owned .So I am a true rookie .

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:32 am

Not sure about the 40, but my 440 (Diesel) was fine there studs between the bellhousing and motor. It sounds like the hole is stripped though.
I've noticed that is a major problem in the parts book, it doesn't specify if bolts are fine thread.

If your mechanically inclined at all I think you can fix the generator. There are only a few things that could be wrong with it.
A. Field coils are bad and grounded to the housing.
B. Brushes are shot or sticking.
C. Commutator is wore/ needs cleaned and shined up.
D. Armature is bad.

A-C can be fixed easily.
If D is the problem then you probably need to look for a new genny.
Or you can swap it over to 12 V and an alternator, your preference.

Also, are you sure the generator is bad and its not the voltage regulator? Just something to check.
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring

hydrogeo
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hydrogeo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:46 am

First step is to get the manuals. Parts book can be downloaded free from Deere. I got my operators and factory service manuals on ebay from a guy that does nice reprints. The value of the service manual in particular cannot be over stated. It is a really well done manual.

It sure doesnt sound like you can fix the stripped hole without tearing everything apart and putting a Helicoil or the like in.